Chapter 5: Liyue

Around 2 weeks after your encounter with Scaramouche, you had your opportunity of coming across the traveller. He had successfully brought an end to the vision hunt decree in Inazuma and even brought somewhat of a peaceful agreement between the Watatsumi people and the shogunate.

He was just leaving the estate after visiting Ayaka and Ayato.

"Traveler. Paimon," you called out, running behind them.

"Y/n, what's up?" Paimon asked.

"Uh traveller, I had something to ask you. Can we go to the Chinju forest?"

"Sure." Paimon replied. She kind of replied on behalf of the traveller almost all the time.

"Uh, can we talk alone please?" you say.

"Hm? What's that about? Oh well, Paimon will just wait here then." She said and stopped at a distance as you and the traveller went further into the forest.

"What's up, y/n?" the traveller asks.

"Okay, so um- please don't disclose what I'm about to say?"

"Yeah you can confide in me. Go on."

You gulped.

"Traveller, do you know anyone called Scaramouche?"

"What?!" the traveller almost screamed. "How do you know the Balladeer?"

"Long story," you mumbled "he's someone from my past. I knew him before he became the Balladeer."

"I do know him. And let me tell you, he is dangerous."

"Yeah, I kind of knew you would say that. So here's the thing. Is there a nation currently that doesn't have an archon? You've been to many nations, right?"

The traveller thought for sometime before answering.

"Well, I heard from Miko- Guuji Yae, I mean, that Sumeru was going through something like this. But what does that have to do with Scaramouche?"

"Nothing," you denied, shaking your head. "Are you headed to Sumeru anytime soon?"

"Not really. I have some things to take care of in the Chasm area of Liyue. So I'll be departing for Liyue tomorrow."

"Can I tag along? Just to liyue harbour? You can do your thing there and we can go to Sumeru after that?"

"Wait, y/n" the traveller sounded suspicious "is scaramouche going to be causing trouble in Sumeru?"

There it was. You were caught. You hesitated to answer.

"Y/n!" The traveller grabbed you by your shoulders. "Please do not hide this from me. Scaramouche is not a person to be taken lightly. Do you have any idea how many lives he has taken? The people that he has killed?"

"He can't have killed-"

"He has. Hundreds of lives have been lost because of him. I fought him a few weeks back. I'd have been dead if Yae Miko hadn't come. So please. Tell me what's happening."

Scaramouche has killed people. He had tried to kill the traveller as well. Is Scaramouche even the same person as Kabukimono? The little puppet who swore to let no harm come to you?

"I don't know anymore than what I've already said, traveller," you say firmly. "He told me he would write me letters about further things. He hasn't written anything yet."

"Why do you need to be in Sumeru?"

"Its just a hunch that he might be there."

The traveller was engrossed in a deep thought. You looked on at him hopefully.