Chapter 6: To Snezhnaya

You were still curled up in your bed when there was a knock at the door. You woke up lazily and opened it. It was Ver Goldet, the receptionist at Wangshu Inn.

"You have a letter, y/n." She politely handed you the letter and departed.

The letter didn't mention who it was from but you were pretty sure that it was Scaramouche's letter. The one that you have been waiting for. How did he know you were no longer in Inazuma? You opened the letter hurriedly, all your sleepiness disappearing in an instant.

"Dearest y/n,

You must have been waiting patiently for my letter, my first loyal follower. Although you won't be my follower very long. Soon after I become the god of sumeru, I will make you one of my sages.

You must be wondering how I knew that you were in liyue? Well let's just say i have my ways. But i need you to come here now. One of my fellow colleagues, will be there to collect you. Regrettably, I won't be able to be the one bringing you here. I will be leaving for Dottore, the doctor, to one of his more secluded labs, where I will transform into a new god- and the most powerful one at that.

I think I'll end my letter here. Be a good girl and come to me quickly."

So he knew where you were. You went down at the reception and asked Ver Goldet who had delivered this letter. She said that it was lying at the reception table when she came down early morning. She didn't know who was the sender and inquired if everything was alright. You told her everything was fine and went back up to your room.

You couldn't help but feel a bit scared. So Scaramouche knows your whereabouts. Some one from his colleagues will be taking you to him. This person also had to be another harbinger. Where exactly would you be taken to? Was that place safe? Should you contact the traveller? He was probably still at the Chasm. You didn't want to get in his way. Should you write to the Kamisatos? But then you won't be able to meet Kabuki. Somewhere in your heart, you still couldn't accept him as Scaramouche or the Balladeer. The way he trembled as he held you close that night was pretty clear in your mind. The Kabukimono was still there somewhere, submerged deep inside this malicious evil shell of Scaramouche. Scaramouche who had hit you right across your face the first time meeting you after 500 years. Should you really go?

You close your eyes. All those old memories come flooding back. You and Kabuki studying together. Hisa-nii teaching him forging. The little kabuki with his big purple veil doing his silly dance during festivals. Kabuki promising you on the beach to always look out for you and swearing on having each other's back.

You will go, you decided. It took a lot of courage to come to this decision. But you will do this for him. There was literally no one for the both of you except for each other from the past. The least you could do was to be there for him.

• • •

Around evening, Ver Goldet again knocked at your door.

"Someone is here to pick you up," she informed.

"I'll be there right away." You gulp down your fears.

As you clear your bills at the reception, you notice a ginger haired guy waiting for you. He must be the other harbinger. At least he didn't look scary, you let out a relieved sigh mentally.

You and the ginger guy head out of the Wangshu Inn. You were quite away from the inn when you suddenly remembered Xiao. Shit. You should have informed him about your departure. Maybe told Ver Goldet to give him your message or left him a letter. But you didn't. You apologised to him in your head and promised to come and meet him once whatever this God business with Scaramouche was over.

"So you're y/n."

Your thoughts were disrupted by the ginger. You nod in reply.

"Well, you sure are pretty," he said in a flirty way.

"Excuse me?"

"Don't get mad. The Balladeer have been rambling about how pretty you were ever since you emerged from the domain. 500 years huh? You grandma."

"Okay...?"

"I'm Childe. But since you know the Balladeer on a personal level, I'll tell you my alias as well. Tartaglia. I'm the last of the harbingers. And so they make me do there lowly work sometimes. Like today I'm taking you to the balladeer."

"Childe's a funny name." You say attempting to make cheerful conversation.

"Sure, grandma. Laugh as much as you can. For once you reach your destination, you'll miss all things funny."

And you stayed silent the rest of the journey to liyue harbour. There Childe boarded you in a snezhnayan ship. So you were going to Snezhnaya huh? That meant the base of the Fatui.

"Well bye, grandma y/n," Childe waved at you from the harbour.

You turned your back to him and sat down on the deck, as the ship started sailing away. There you were. None of your loved ones knew where you were. The Kamisatos didn't know. Neither did the traveller or Xiao know. If you get into any trouble, you're on your own. You were scared. You hugged your knees and stayed where you were.

"Y/n?"

You looked up and saw Scaramouche. Finally a familiar face. You wanted to throw yourself at him and cry away your fears in his hug. But you didn't. He was the Balladeer. You dared not.

"Well, get up." He instructed. You did as you were told.

He grabbed your hand and dragged you in his room. Locking the door inside, he turned to you again.

"What were you doing with that adeptus?"

Huh? What was he saying? Moreover, how in the world did he know? He came dangerously close to you as your back pressed against the wall.

"Who, Xiao?" you managed to squeak.

"I don't care for his name. Why did he have to touch your face?" Scaramouche sounded more angry than hurt.

"He said there was some honey on my face and rubbed it off...." Wait a second. The realisation dawned upon you. Was he being jealous?

"Where exactly did he touch?"

You pointed at your cheek. And taking you by surprise, Scaramouche swooped down and planted a kiss where you were pointing. Your face flushed red.

"Only I can do that, understand?" He whispered bringing his mouth up to your ear.

"O-okay." You reply meekly.

He took a step back and stared at you intently. A smirk slowly formed at his lips as if he was enjoying how nervous he had made you. You fidgeted with the hem of your skirt, trying hard not to make eye contact with him. Scaramouche cupped your face and forced you to look at him.

"Look at me when I talk with you, y/n," he said "you're so damn pretty." He pulled you in an embrace. You buried your red hot face in his chest.

"Well, as much as I'd love for this to go on, we need not hurry. We have the world's time with us. Once I become god, I'll make you the happiest. But as of now, you should go sleep. I'll take the couch."

You half wished he didn't take the couch. But you knew better not to argue. You curled up in his bed as he settled in the couch. Scaramouche was going on about his big plans as a god which you couldn't focus on much after what had just happened. Today was the first time you felt butterflies within you. Maybe Ayaka felt this way with the traveller too? Well whatever the case, you were hopeful that things will go great from now onwards and soon you found yourself drifting into sleep.

You couldn't be more wrong.