Chapter 5

Once Father was out of sight, Selena opened the car door and grabbed her tote. Instead of sliding into the front passenger seat, she said, "I need to use the restroom before we go."

Mom bit her lip, and her brows knit together in worry. "Be careful, dear. Even with the rings for protection, I'd still feel better if you waited until we get home."

Selena scoffed. "I'll be right back, Mom." Except, she wouldn't. For the first time, Selena allowed herself to consider what Mom would do when she failed to reappear. With Mom being already on edge, she was likely to go into full panic mode and call the mage police or port authorities, who would then start a search for Selena. They'd probably contact Father, and there would be a search for Selena on board the ship, too.

With everyone looking for her, Selena would have a much harder time remaining unseen.

She could make Mom forget that Father had said no to the trip. The thought of playing with someone's memory with magic sent a shiver up Selena's spine. There was a reason the government had banned mind magic. That kind of violation was abominable, and for the sake of convenience, Selena couldn't quite justify it.

And yet...

What would Selena's disappearance put Mom through? An unwelcome image of Mom all alone sobbing hysterically, picturing her daughter dead of a freezing curse or worse, wormed its way into Selena's brain, bringing with it a pang of guilt.

No, Selena couldn't bring herself to cause her mother so much anguish. Mom had to believe that Selena and Father had gone together on this trip and that all was well. Which would mean she'd have to do something that she didn't want to do.

Forgive me.

Selena closed her eyes and summoned her water magic. It rippled in her mind's eye like a curtain between herself and Mom. She imagined stepping forward and parting the curtain with her hands, linking her mind to Mom's. After years of criticism and browbeating from Father, Mom's defenses broke with far too little resistance, allowing Selena to step through the barrier with ease and plant a false memory of Father agreeing to bring her with him on the cruise.

Selena bowed her head. It was done.

Mom's voice sounded strangely blank when she said, "Have a safe trip. Keep out of your father's hair and do as he says."

"Thanks, Mom." The words tasted foreign on her tongue. She wasn't used to saying them often, but Selena did appreciate Mom's unwitting support for this mission. "See you in a week."

Selena took the long walkway at a run, passing by onlookers gawking at the three massive cruise ships docked in port. The vessels made for an impressive sight, with their vivid hues and festive patterns against the glittering sea beyond. Last night's storm had cleared, leaving a bright blue sky littered with puffy white clouds.

She tore her gaze from the view. She was under a time crunch and could hardly afford to let herself turn into one of those insipid gawkers.

Briny air tickled her nostrils, and the wind whipped her long hair as she picked up her pace. Seagulls flew overhead and called to each other over the sounds of waves lapping against the shore. Breathing hard, she finally reached the ticket office. She spared a glance at her watch and pursed her lips. Three people stood in line ahead of her, and she had less than five minutes to board the ship.

With two minutes to spare, Selena finally got her turn. She stepped to the ticket window and gave a curt nod to the overweight, balding man inside the booth. "I'd like to book a passage on the Augury of the Seas."

"ID, please?" When Selena handed him the requested document, he shook his head and returned it. "Sorry, miss, but I can't sell you a boarding pass. You're a minor."