Chapter 11

The remainder of dinner had passed without a hitch, though Selena suspected Father was onto her. He would bide his time, making certain it was her before acting, and she had to be prepared for him to strike at any moment.

Selena paused outside the Augurey's Nest to take a deep breath before entering the fray. The packed lounge was already buzzing with lively music and chatter. Her shimmering royal blue gown swished around her ankles as she strolled the room in search of Adam, the movement silky but foreign against her skin. On her feet, she wore silver sequined flat sandals. She was finished experimenting with heels.

Servers worked the room, floating oversized trays laden with champagne and fancy snacks. When she made her way by one held aloft by a mat woven of earth magic and decorated with green vines and white roses, Selena stopped to take a flute of champagne and a puff pastry.

"There you are, Mystery Girl. I thought you might have stood me up, but wow, the wait was worth it. You look amazing!"

She lifted her gaze to find Adam standing before her, bathed in the glow of the setting sun that shone through the floor-to-ceiling windows beyond. His hair was pulled back into a ponytail at the nape of his neck, and he had dressed in an expensive charcoal grey suit, crisp white shirt, and royal blue tie. Odd. Had he matched his tie to her dress with magic as soon as he spotted her?

Unsure what to say, or how to feel other than thoroughly flustered at his fawning over her looks and the whole color-matching thing, she managed, "Well, don't get used to it. This is a level of effort you're not likely to see me make again."

Heat flushed her cheeks. She wasn't about to admit that he looked quite good himself. However, he must have read the thought on her face, because he flashed a pleased grin. "Same here. This suit is hot and itchy, and these dress shoes are killing my feet. Want to go sit outside in the fresh air?"

The music stopped, and the chatter died down. Onstage, a dark-skinned woman in a golden strapless gown announced in a rich voice amplified by air magic, "Ladies and gentlemen, the moment you have all been waiting for has come. In a few moments, the ship will begin its submersion. For those of you first-time cruisers, rest assured you're in for a treat. The ship's protective bubble will keep us safe and sound for the next three days of our journey underwater. Keep your eyes out for mermaids, marine life, and some of the most breathtaking coral reefs you'll ever see. Some have even sworn they've glimpsed the sunken Atlantis in the depths on this route."

"Fine," Selena agreed if only to avoid the crowds inside. At least out on deck, they'd have an ocean breeze. "Can we stay outside while the ship submerges?"

"Yeah, the bubble stays airtight against the ship's hull, but it covers the entire upper and lower decks. We'll have the best view out there."

They claimed a table by the railing, and Selena sat gazing out at the endless waves. The sea stretched out toward the horizon ahead as far as she could see, the sun's reflection a ray of gold and red on the water. Her lips parted in wonder at the sight. She expected a strong breeze to blow about the stray curls piled on top of her head in an elegant bun, but she barely felt a breath of wind, as if something were blocking it. As she focused her vision, she noticed a clear bubble creating a skin-tight dome around the ship. Selena reached out to touch it, and the bubble sparkled a rainbow of colors and sprang back against her palm. Intrigued, she tried again, with the same result. Magic tingled her hand and trailed up her arm.

"This is air magic mixed with water magic, isn't it?" Her voice came out in a breathy, reverent whisper. The current emanating from the protective bubble was strong, reassuring, and beautifully intricate. Selena had never encountered anything like this, and she itched to run back to her room and read all about the spell in the leather-bound volume on elemental magic Uncle Franklin had given her last year for her birthday.