Chapter 9

So it was true. Olivia did recognize her. Was it her walk?

Selena paused by the door leading inside and faced Olivia. "Why do you care? We're not friends anymore, remember? You looked like you were having the time of your life with your new friends."

"Your little makeover isn't fooling anyone."

Selena arched a brow. "Don't care."

"Liar," Olivia huffed.

"Of course. Because according to you, that's all I am. A liar." The admission tasted bitter on her tongue and left her hollow. She had no more grief to give.

Olivia crossed her arms and launched into lecture mode, her tone authoritative yet somehow managing not to seem condescending. "Social situations are going to make you nervous. That's life. Stick around anyway, and you'll get better at them. Eventually, they'll get easier. Next time, when you like a guy who is clearly as into you as you are into them, maybe don't run."

"Is that what you think? That–that I was into him?" Olivia nodded. Selena's mouth dropped.

"Totally into him."

This conversation was ridiculous. Selena glanced around at the crowd, searching for Father. She needed to get inside before he spotted her. He was nowhere in sight, for now, but he could head her way at any moment.

"You're wrong. As usual," Selena sniped right back.

Olivia's eyes widened. "Then who were you running from?"

"Who says I was running from anyone?" Selena's attention was only partly on this unwanted conversation. Her gaze strayed back to the crowd, watching for Father to come her way. If he did, she'd have no choice but to bolt for her room until she'd prepared enough to face him.

"Besides, again, we're not friends anymore, so you have no reason to care this much about what I do. Maybe I felt like trying a new look for this new chapter of my life without all the pressure you put on me to do it your way."

Olivia narrowed her gaze and shook her head. "Mmm, no, that's not it. You're deflecting, as usual. No, you had a good reason for changing your appearance."

Selena snorted. "As if."

"Right. You don't care about looks enough to make the effort on a whim."

"True, and you say that like it's a bad thing." Selena shrugged, unrepentant. Obsessing about looks meant attracting superficial guys. She'd seen it with Olivia time and again. If Selena ever wanted to date, she would look for someone of substance.

Like Cute Guy, her heart whispered, before she firmly told it to shut up.

Olivia let out a gasp. "Wait. Your dad doesn't know you're here, does he?"

"Look," Selena frowned, grappling with the best way to spin the situation. She couldn't admit everything, or it would give Olivia leverage to use against her. "Father is here for a work project, and he said no to me going. I wanted to celebrate my graduation, so I decided to take the cruise on my own. I'm staying out of his hair to avoid an awkward situation with his coworkers. I don't want them thinking he brought family along on a business trip."

"I'll take that under consideration, for his sake, not yours. Don't worry. I won;t say anything to put your father in a tough spot with his job."

At least Olivia wasn't threatening to run to Father and tell him that Selena had gone against his wishes by coming onboard. "Good. I appreciate your discretion, and your advice."

"Well, you're going to need a lot of help if you want to fool your father. That man can see right through you. The ultimate test will be flying under his radar if you end up in the same room as him, like at dinner or the theater. You'd better start practicing the new mannerisms I suggested before that happens."