Chapter I: Kurayami

Y/n Asagiri

I can't help the happy little gasp that escapes my lips. I had dreamed of this day for as long as I could remember, ever since my parents told me tales of Kurayami. And now that I was finally here... It's even more gorgeous than I could have pictured.

Kurayami is built like a traditional sort of Japanese temple, except somehow with a magic flare to it. The three main buildings stretch up to the sky, roof tops covered with red clay tiles, walls made with dark wood panels. Lanterns adorn the latticework windows, lighting up the star dotted sky. The trees that peak out of the gaps in brickwork have already donned their fall hues of oranges and reds. I wish I could soak in the scene a little longer, but I'm quickly ushered inside by my older brother Gen, who seems a little too eager to be out of the cold.

My gaze darts around, standing on my tiptoes in hopes of finding my best friend. He had to be here. I'd spent the past week trying to convince him that magic was real and that he apparently had it, so my hard work had better not gone to waste. I can't catch a glimpse of him or his radish hair, not before there's a loud voice from the front of the room. Wherever we've been brought, it's crowded with people and chatter but it's all quiet once the voice speaks. I'm too far back in the room to see whose speaking, but judging from the expression of obedience of everyone's faces, it must be the head of the school.

I can't remember their name, or anything about them, only all of my parents' praises of their work and the disgruntled expression Gen always offered in response.

"Good evening students," their voice washes over me, a strange sense of calmness flowing over me in waves. "Welcome to Kurayami. My name is Kaze Kurayami. I am descended from the founders of this school. You may address me in any way you see fit, but do not think that makes me a friend." I can sense a hint of rage that quickly fades away. "New students, please file into the room on the left for orientation. Returning students, head to the right where you will be directed to your rooms for this year."

They raise their hand and speak one last phrase. It's too many syllables and letters, all swirled together into some language that I don't know, but somehow most of the students know it? Even Gen mutters the phrase next to me and he's never been particularly smart. Oh shit, does this mean I have to learn a new language?

I don't get a chance to ask Gen because by the time I turn to him, the walls are already shifting up and down and pulling away material into a doorway. It's the first time that I've ever seen this kind of magic, the kind that can morph the existing into something else. With that, I shuffle my way into the room to the left, fiddling with the strings to my sweatshirt.

A hand grips my shoulder. It's instinct to me to flip them over, grabbing their wrist. I'm not insanely strong but I know enough martial arts to defend myself so the person of grabbed me comes toppling to the ground.

My best friend lies on the ground, clutching his neck and groaning. His lab coat is stuffed to the brim with vials of some science stuff, sweater and jeans pressed free of wrinkles. "Thanks for that, witchy."

"I told you, I'm not a witch, Senku. I'm a practitioner of the arcane." It's wordy, yeah, but that's the truth. "If anything I'm a sorceress."

Senku cracks a laugh. "Leave it to you to berate me on my sixteenth birthday."

I grin. "Like you care about that sort of thing." I heave Senku to his feet. In response, he flicks my forehead. I scowl but direct my attention to where the head of the school stands.

Since this room is a bit smaller than the last, I can finally get a good look at them. Contrary to all the beliefs about the world of magic, we don't all use wands and spells like how Harry Potter did a few years ago (Apparently he was famous enough that some normal human wrote a book series about him. I heard she turned out to be a bitch though...).

Instead, their hands glow with the bright blue of spacial arcana, strands of their blond curled hair dyed the same color. Their outfit consists of a sweater in bloody crimson and pants in the same color. A necklace of sorts rests against their collarbone, the gold strands glittering in the faint light, the glass clear jewels dangling down to their waist.

"I'll say it once more to you new students. Welcome to Kurayami, School of the Arcane." A small smile spreads across my face. Finally, I was here. After all the years of my life spent waiting for this day, I could finally learn to embrace and control this magic in me. I glance sideways to where Senku stands beside me. And I get to do it with my best friend!

...How was I supposed to know that the year just spiralled downwards from that point?

Word Count: 897
Author's Note: See guys, isn't this so much better? My writing style is a lot different from when I first began this fanfic! Since the events of HP were set several decades ago, I think that would have been long enough for the magic system to have changed quite a bit. It's still set in the same world, there just aren't as many connecting points anymore. And no more houses! The separation of what could have been amazing friendships bugged me anyways. Also it's a completely different school, but still! The new magic system is inspired by some of my favorite fantasy novels so see if you can figure out which ones! Hope you enjoyed the reworked first chapter, because I sure liked writing it!