Chapter V: The Self Proclaimed Brothers

Y/n Asagiri

I plop myself into a seat near the back of the class. This time none of my friends are with me so I'm by my lonesome.

Well, that's what I thought. In through the door bounds my older "brothers" as they've deemed themselves. Ever since the two of them wandered their way into my life that fateful winter afternoon, I've been pestered with their nonsense. Scratch that, one of their nonsense.

Ryusui Nanami and Ukyo Saionji, my self proclaimed brothers. Ryusui was way more vocal about it, saying he wanted me on his side after seeing my Arcana, but Ukyo has been just as protective and just as caring. I think Gen sees them as competition.

For some reason, Ryusui wears a navy pirate hat that does nothing to keep his shaggy blond hair in place. His eyes are gleaming with that determined look of his, mouth curled in a smirk that seems ever-permanent.

I feel bad for Ukyo, who's essentially Ryusui's bodyguard (or something), cause he's wearing that tired expression that can only be caused by Ryusui and his white hair has been messed with beyond belief. There's a grin in his teal eyes though, the most of a smile that eyes can show, so I know he's alright.

They plop into the seats that flank me and I want to sink into the ground and die. Ryusui's blabbering on and on about how much power he has as a Clan Leader (he's in the same year as Gen) while Ukyo is basically catching up on sleep with his eyes open. Ukyo's in his third year, about to graduate next year, which sucks because it's the only time I've ever gone to school with him.

"Right Y/n?" Ryusui asks with a shout.

... I'd completely zoned him out. It's something I do a lot and I sort of feel bad, but it's not my fault he talks too much! "What'd you say?"

"I said I think this will be favorite class!" He's grinning and I know he wants me to agree but honestly, history's always bored me.

Why learn about what already happened when the future's yet to come? Also, it's just droning. I don't tell Ryusui this though, I just smile and nod. Ukyo's practically reading my thoughts as always and shoots me an agreeing smile.

And with that, class starts. The teacher's honestly really pretty and she looks around Ukyo's age, with turquoise curly hair and icy white eyes. She spends a few minutes introducing herself before diving right in.

"Welcome to History 201." 201? So this class was for second year? I shoot Ukyo a questioning glance.

"I feel asleep one too many times during class last year." Honestly relatable.

"Why am I here?" He shrugs. I turn to ask Ryusui but he's listening so intently that I don't want to break his concentration.

Great. I'm in Hell, but at least I'm not alone.

... How was I supposed to know that statement would slowly become more and more true?

Word Count: 507
Author's Note: Oh come on, you really thought I'd forget Ukyo and Ryusui? (I actually did at first but shush) And yes, I know Ukyo is older than them but hush. It doesn't matter here. I was telling my friend about this fic and I spoiled something that's going to happen (not everything but enough to hurt). :) Y'all are in for a wild ride.