how to be best friends

When Cas woke up, he felt sunlight on his skin and the smell of eggs and bacon in the air. After a few seconds of still feeling dizzy and his vision being blurry, his whole body stiffens when he realized where he was.

He still couldn't wrap his head around being in an apartment that belonged to Dean, laying on his couch in his own home surrounded by everything that Dean has bought for himself because he liked it. It must seem silly and exaggerated but it felt so personal, like parts of Deans heart being displayed, which Cas haven't known before. Things like furniture and decoration choices were never a thing Dean had to think about. Only ever for his so-called Dean-Cage and back then he only put things in it he wanted to own. Like a minibar and a TV set up. But decorations... that was something else.

He had figurines from various movie characters like Chucky and Batman, but also tape recorder, probably to play the ones from his car now in his home, placed on a shelf next to the TV. There were boxes piled up on top of each other right next the shelf and Cas couldn't help his curiosity for wanting to know what inside of those was. Dean apparently even painted the brick wall that Cas faced right now to crème white. The whole apartment had white walls, they made it feel so light and open, a complete contrast to the bunker. The floor was wooden and it warmed up on the places where the sun hit.

For some reason the bay window did something irritating to him. It looked magical and cozy and it seemed to pull Cas in. Just sitting there, making himself comfortable with the various pillows and cushions and a soft blanket, staring out the window, that's what he imagined. It also looked like a side of Dean, he never shows to anybody but to Cas. The side where he lets his walls down, letting Cas in on his feelings and thoughts and put his inner weapons down, that always try to defend him from the nasty threat called feelings. That's what it looked like to him and he couldn't help but smile stupidly for no apparent reason.

Still smiling he sat up and stretched with a yawn. He saw Dean standing in the kitchen again. Two empty plates already on the table and two glasses of orange juice beside them.

"Buddy, you look like you slept a lifetimes-worth," Dean said as he turned around and snorted when he saw Cas' wild hair. Cas just squinted his eyes in a not-understanding way like he always does. Deans mouth escaped a laugh, but it was a genuine one. He kind of liked this look on him, it just screamed human. "Come on sleeping beauty, eggs are gettin' cold."

Cas stood up and noticed that Dean wasn't in his pajamas anymore. He was fully dressed, hair still a bit wet from probably taking a shower. How long was he asleep? And how long was Dean already awake?

Cas shambled over to the same chair he sat on yesterday and rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

"You have to show me how to do this," Cas demanded when Dean sat down.

"Frying eggs?"

"Yes."

"Weren't you married for like week? Didn't she show you, Emanuel?" Dean said and dropped his tone at the name in a mocking attempt. Cas snorted and felt a rising guilt inside him. He just left the woman and never came back and he didn't even remember practically any of it since the second he got his memories back while smiting these angels.

"I don't think so, I don't really remember her all that much," Cas said and shoveled eggs in his mouth. Dean didn't know if this was a sensitive topic, so he didn't want to probe any further and bit in his bacon strip.

"Okay here's the thing," he started and took a sip from his juice, "do you have a plan?"

Cas visibly taken aback by that question, with bacon hanging in his mouth, had absolutely no clue where this conversation was leading to.