Unresistable (2)

Y/N's POV

After the meeting, I left earlier than everyone else. Even if I didn't know anyone too well, I couldn't face it immediately. I wandered through the empty paddock, taking the potentially extra hour of calm silence before the chaos of Thursday, media day.

I opened up my emails on my phone, looking to find the rooms. I just wanted to know who I'd be with.

Max + George
Lewis + Checo
Daniel + Carlos
Charles + Lando
Seb + Kimi
Lance + Valtteri
Mick + Estie
Fernando + Kevin
Yuki + Pierre
Alex + Latifi
Piastri + Logan
Y/N + Nyck
Zhou + Antonio

Max and George in the same room..? Well fuck me gently with a chainsaw, I hope I'm not gonna be in a room next to them, I don't want to be involved in their arguments...wait, Antonio and Latifi weren't at the meeting..? Were they invited or something? How many of us are there... 26!? What the hell!?

This mansion we're staying in must be huge.

I found myself wandering to the Haas garage, taking a seat at one of the screens, peeking at some of the data from last year. Last year, I'd been around 3 seconds off the pace. Then again, I also hadn't actually driven an F1 car in around two years.

As the garage started to fill up, there seemed to be this thick tension throughout the garage. I thought it was just me, and headed back out to the paddock.

Nope. Definitely not just me.

I caught sight of a few other drivers huddled up and talking quietly. Something was definitely off.

I needed to know.

"Hey, Lando? Everything okay, why's everyone acting weird?"

Lando jumped slightly as I approached the group, still speaking quietly to me as he answered.

"Charles... he tripped going down the stairs. He sprained his ankle, left in an ambulance. He can't race this weekend."

My heart sank as I heard his words. Charles wasn't able to race!? Who'd take his seat this weekend?

"What the hell!?"

"Yeah... Max is devastated for him. Max went to the hospital with Charles. Ferrari are gonna be missing a driver this weekend if they can't get a hold of anyone soon enough."

Something suddenly clicked in my mind. I hated that this had to be how I could get my first drive in F1, but the game is the game.

"I hope he's okay... Keep me updated, okay..?"

Lando nodded, as we parted ways, Lando back to the other drivers, and me... up the paddock?

I didn't know where I was going. Actually, that was a lie. I knew where I was going, I just didn't know if it was a good idea or not.

The red Ferrari garage. The place that could be my future. The place that was missing a piece now that Charles was missing this race. I could drive for them. This could be my debut.

Okay, now I'm thinking too far.

I walked into the garage cautiously, expecting all the stares I received. I made my way up to the Team Principal Frederic Vasseur's office. I stood there for an embarrassingly long amount of time figuring out what to say, before whispering to myself "fuck it", and knocking.

"Come in?"

I slowly entered the room, watching as Frederic's expression changed from boredom to confusion.

"Morning. Sorry I didn't give any notice or anything, I heard a rumour around the paddock."

"About Charles?"

I nodded, feeling slightly awkward. I didn't have a clue how to approach this situation! I didn't think this was an opportunity I'd potentially have this weekend, in Silverstone of all places, my home GP!

"Saying he couldn't drive. I was also told you guys needed another driver, and since I'm a Haas reserve, I thought I'd at least make my presence known."

He seems to consider his options for a moment, looking down at some random papers, before looking back at me again.

"Well, take a seat Y/N. We can discuss this here and now I suppose."

Carlos' POV

I couldn't help feeling a little anxious before the interviews. The team had made a post saying the Charles couldn't race, and as expected, the media exploded, majority sending support.

The interview for Thursday was meant to be Lando, Charles, George, Max and I. But if Charles wasn't here, people would be asking questions about it either way.

As I arrived at the interview, Max was already stood there alongside Lando. George was also there, but far enough away that he and Max wouldn't have to talk. Someone needed to sort their problems out, it just wouldn't be me though.

"Hey Carlos."

Lando's voice was dry as hell. He was worried, and it didn't even take a genius to find that fact out.

"Worried about Charles?"

He nodded lightly.

"I just hope he's okay... it sucks missing races."

Out of seemingly nowhere, someone came and stood beside us, brushing their h/c hair out of their eyes. They wore a Ferrari shirt, seeming relatively relaxed.

"Hey, you. Who are you?"

They looked towards the person speaking. Max.

"Don't remember me? I'm Y/N. Someone mayyyy or may not be filling for Charles this weekend."

All four of us other drivers looked confused and surprised. Nobody more than Lando.

"You're actually driving this weekend then?"

"I guess you're actually psychic Lando."

We entered the press conference a few moments later, Y/N sitting in the middle. Which made sense, nobody knew who they were.

*Half an hour later*

The questions seemed like a dull blur, and once we were finally out, I left straight for the garage. A warm breeze pulled me out of my thoughts. I could only hope Charles would be fine. I couldn't let it distract me.

I'd be okay, I'd be strong for Charles.

As I entered the garage, something felt weird. The air in the team seemed lighter than earlier, so something had happened. And just from what I'd been told, I was assuming that Y/N had something to do with it.

I went to my engineer and tried to focus on the practice plans for tomorrow. I could only hope that Y/N would settle into the car quickly. We'd struggle without Charles this weekend, but Y/N seemed like a good driver.

But we won't know until they drive the car. Not until they make their proper debut.

That's a tomorrow problem though.