CHAPTER TEN: THE STRANGER

𝘊𝘏𝘈𝘗𝘛𝘌𝘙 𝘛𝘌𝘕
❝ 𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬. 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞, 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐥, 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚𝐧 𝐨𝐰𝐥, 𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬 𝐠𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞. 𝐈𝐧 𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐤, 𝐢𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐟𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐲.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。..・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

𝐀𝐒 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐆 𝐉𝐀𝐊𝐄 continued his desperate journey through the deep woods, he couldn't help but feel a mix of fear and hope. The shadows of the trees stretched long as the sun began its descent, casting an eerie glow over the forest. The memory of the creature that had snatched him from his neighborhood still haunted him, and he shuddered at the thought of encountering it again. The way it's large claws grabbed hold of him, leaving its slimy residue all over his ankles and arms. That was ghastly sight. Worse than the monster lurking under his bed or the boogie man hiding in his closet.

Despite his ordeal, Jake was relieved that he hadn't sustained any serious injuries during his escape. For young boy, he was intelligent for his age and managed to navigate through parts of the woods, knowing the place like the back of his hand, having wandered many times. His body was marked with scrapes and cuts from his hasty flight through the underbrush, but he pushed on, determined to find his way back home to Arcadia. It had gotten extremely dark at this point and finding his way back would prove to be near impossible. The trees covering the majority of the moonlight and night sky didn't help things, either.

As he wandered deeper into the woods, Jake suddenly noticed a grey owl perched on a branch above him, observing him with large, curious eyes. The sight of the owl brought a sense of tranquility to the boy's heart, as if the creature somehow understood his plight. He approached the owl cautiously, drawn to its majestic presence.

"Hey there," Jake whispered softly, not wanting to startle the creature. "Do you know the way back to Arcadia? I'm-I'm lost, and I need to find my way home."

For a moment, it seemed as though the owl was about to respond. Its head tilted slightly, as if considering the boy's plea. But just as Jake anticipated an answer, the owl spread its wings gracefully and took flight, disappearing into the darkening forest.

Disheartened, Jake sighed but understood that the owl wasn't his guide. He was on his own once again. Nevertheless, he pressed on, determined to find a way out of the woods and back to his worried family in Arcadia. With each step, he tried to muster his courage, hoping that he would eventually emerge from this strange and perilous journey unscathed. He peeks over at the tiny little branches arching out toward him. They look pretty cool I'm his mind, but also a bit frightening as he's never seen such a thing before. They were dark and scraggly, with a couple blue thorns peaking out from under. He goes to cautiously poke the top of the branch where it grows about another inch. That made him shiver as he quickly got away from the bushes. Man, he just wanted to go home.

Meanwhile, his mother and relatives remained out on the family porch, waiting for him to return. Her mother wept and couldn't sleep a single minute until she knew for certain that her boy was okay. She avoided making contact with those who implored her to simply turn in for the night. They'll search more tomorrow, they all said. She didn't want to hear it.