prologue

OVERPROLOGUE

OVER
PROLOGUE

EIGHTH GRADE

MOON COLLYMORE WAS OVER the moon, pun intended. Today was the day of her mom's wedding, and she had never felt more excited. Most importantly, she had never felt more beautiful. Her mom had taken a long time to get over Moon's father's death. Seeing her mother happy made her happy. It had been a beautiful ceremony, but Moon was more excited about the reception. All her friends were there! Plus, her girlfriend.

Her wonderful, amazing girlfriend, Maddox.

Maddox was Moon's first ever girlfriend. It was because of Maddox that Moon was sure she liked girls. Moon may have barely known what Love was, but she was head over heels for Maddox.

Smoothing down the satin, champagne colored dress she wore, she trodded across the grass and to the large tent that housed the tables and chairs for the reception. Her mother had wanted an outdoor reception, and her new husband had wanted an inside one. As a compromise, they would start outside and move inside once it started getting dark out. That way, everyone was happy.

"Oh, Moon, you look beautiful. I'm so glad your mother got rid of that ugly chiffon dress she picked out for you originally", her Aunt Sadie said as passed by, effectively stopping her. The brown skinned woman's hair had gone prematurely grey, and instead of dying it, she embraced it. People thought that Moon got her carefree personality from her aunt.

"That dress was not ugly", Moon's mother, Patrice, gasped as she approached, holding up her dress so the bottom didn't drag the ground. (Her husband had playfully scolded her for allowing it earlier.) "It was beautiful!"

"It was pink", Sadie said flatly. "Hot pink. And disgusting."

Patrice rolled her eyes. "You're just a hater. Stop holding up my daughter with this nonsense."

"You're right, Trice, I am a hater", Sadie nodded. She was silent for a brief second before she smiled wickedly. "A hater of ugly things. I bet they wear that dress in hell."

Moon couldn't help herself but to laugh out loud. "Okay, I'm gonna leave you two to it. See you in a bit, mom." She continued her journey into the tent, smiling when she saw Maddox sitting at their table. The Korean-American girl had awkwardly worn a dress. She was still figuring out what was and what wasn't comfortable to her. Moon took a seat next to the girl. "Hi", she greeted with a bright grin.

"Hey", Maddox greeted back with a smile. "You looked gorgeous. You look gorgeous." But even as she said it, her attention had drifted back elsewhere. Moon wasn't typically jealous when it came to other girls. She was kind, and patient. That was one of the things that Maddox liked about Moon. The two of them had begun dating shortly after Maddox discovered she liked girls. (In secret, at first, before they began going out in front of friends and Moon's parents. Maddox's parents still didn't know yet.) It was also shortly after Maddox's unrequited crush on their friend Val had dissipated.