episode two

OVERTWO

OVER
TWO

"HEEEY, BESTIES", MOON said nervously as she flagged down EJ, Carlos, and Joey before they could head into class. Her shoes squeaked against the white linoleum as she stopped. "Can we talk?"

"Uh, duh!", Carlos answered. "You know you can always talk to me - to any of us!"

She looked around the hall for a second, observing the white painted brick walls to be sure no one was listening, before turning to face them. "I've been messaging Maddox", she blurted out.

All three boys looked shocked. "What?", they exclaimed in surprise. Personally, Moon found the way that they spoke in sync to be a little bit freaky.

"But... wait. You haven't talked to Nini in depth beyond an 'I love you' since New Years!", Carlos pointed out.

"Moon!" Joey placed a hand over his broad chest, as if he was offended. "Have you been texting your ex while ignoring your girlfriend? Give me your Pibb Extra. I'm confiscating your caffeine privileges."

"What makes you think I have a Pibb Extra?", Moon challenged.

Joey gave her a flat look, his pouty, full lips thinned into a straight line. "You always have a Pibb Extra."

Moon sighed, the sound mingling with a groan, and unzipped her book bag, handing her friend the cold soda that she intended to drink during first period. Goodbye, happiness.

"I mean, I'm all for you and Maddox making up so maybe you'll come to Shallow Lake again, but not if it ruins your relationship with Nini", EJ frowned. His thin lips turned down into a frown. "I know I should be totally bitter and all, but you two are really good for each other."

"We were until she started keeping monumental secrets from me", Moon frowned.

"Oh, come on, that's not fair, Moon!", Carlos defended with a frown. He crossed his thin arms over his chest. Carlos had a dancer's body, tall and long limbed, lithe.  "She was probably just scared to tell you. Your relationship is so new and fragile!", he pointed out, adjusting his gold rimmed glasses. "I would have been terrified to tell Seb something like that last semester, and we're solid!"

Moon sighed. "You're right. I know you're right."

"Talk to Nini", EJ pleased.

"I will!"

"Wait!", Joey interjected. "Show us your messages with Maddox first."

Moon frowned, taking out her phone and handing it over. Occasionally, they would raise their brows or make humming sounds or go 'mmhm.' Moon eventually had enough. She threw her hands out in exasperation. "Okay, what are you guys doing?"

"Are you guys flirting through giving each other relationship advice?", Carlos asked in confusion.

Moon's cheeks heated. She quickly snatched her phone back. "No! That's weird. Who would do that? It's just perfectly normal conversation. She gives me advice on Nini, I give her advice on Madison who is a total psycho by the way."