-4-

Rooster led me into the radio room and sat me down on the couch. "You wrecked your bike the other night didn't you?" He asked. I had road burn on my cheek and arm. "That's not important why did you wanna talk." I said trying to change the subject. "I've been cold to you and I get that, and I'm sorry. It just hurt when you didn't recognize me but I get it it's not your fault. I just wish things were different. And Phoenix and I aren't dating she wants to but I don't like her like that."  He said scratching the back of his head.

"You have every right to be mad at me, I wish things turned out differently too rooster I really do. And who you date isn't my business." I said playing with my hands. "How about this. Once we get back from this mission let me take you out on a date." He said with hope in his eyes. I smiled a little and nodded. "Sure we can do that." I said. "Did mav bring you here?" He asked as I nodded. "Let me take you home." He said standing up and holding out his hand. I took it willingly and followed him out to his bronco.

"Do you want ice cream im kinda in the mood for ice cream." He said looking at me. "Umm sure." I said as he pulled into a little ice cream parlor. "This is where this photo was taken." He said pulling out the photo of me him as kids. "Figured it wouldn't hurt to come back for old times sake." He said getting out and coming over to open my door. I hopped out and we went and go our ice cream and sat on a bench. "I'm kinda nervous for tomorrow." He said looking at the sky. "I just want to get it over with honestly." I said looking over at him.

"Why so we can go on our date faster?" He joked smiling. "Perhaps" I replied shrugging. The next morning on the carrier I stood in the back away from everyone as maverick chose his teams. When he announced that I was air cover once they pop out of coffin corner rooster looked back at me knowing I was sitting bait. 

As I walked to my jet rooster came up to me "why are they using you as bait?" He asked turning me towards him. "They're not. Me being up there and counter acting the sams means more of us go home." I said as I took out another photo of us that I found at my parents wedding and put it in his flight suit pocket. "Be safe Lt." I said and went to my aircraft.

As I started up my plane I was softly singing the song my dad would sing with me when I got nervous with flying. "You can walk through hell with a smile." I mumbled to myself and it went over the comms. Rooster looked over at me as I looked at him. I took off first and the others didn't follow after me for another few minutes to give me time to clear the starting point.

"Air cover to dagger one entrance is green. Dagger attack." I said as I entered the valley and tomahawks shot over us. As the tomahawks hit two bogies started our way. "Mav we got two bandits heading towards us." Phoenix said. As we all popped over and rooster caught up. I was the first one to go over coffins corner to take the first few missiles.  Once the others popped over hell broke loose. As it calmed down I moved forward to try and intercept the bandits. As I did so our fears were coming true.

"Dagger one is hit, I repeat dagger one is hit. Maverick is down." Phoenix said as they tried to get rooster to go back to the carrier as instructed. Once the teams started their way south I went behind them. "Where's rooster." I asked over comms as everyone went silent. "Where is rooster." I said again. "He went to go find maverick." Fanboy said over comms.

As we made it back to the carrier I stayed back on the catapult waiting. Once roosters ESAT went back online they launched me and hangman to escort them back. "Calm down Roulette we'll get them." Hangman said as I was hauling ass to their location. I ignored him as we continued on. Are altitude was higher than theres. Once we passed them and a bandit we circled back and as their comms came over to us. "Im sorry im so sorry." Mav said over the comms while rooster was saying the ejection handles weren't working. When Maverick pulled his plane up hangman and I both took a shot at the bandit before it could shoot them down.

When the leveled out I came out around them and flipped my aircraft upside down and looked at Maverick and Rooster just like my dad showed me. "Please on the rest of the duration of the ride no more stupid shit. Thank you." I said and rolled back around and took off to the carrier.

Once we all landed they all surrounded Rooster and maverick. I sat in my cockpit staring at a photo of me and my dad. "I did it dad. Like you wanted me too. Even brought rooster and maverick back safely." I said tucking the photo in my pocket and wiping away a stray tear. As I got out of my plane and climbed down rooster appeared behind me and picked me up hugging me tightly as I hugged back. "Thank you roulette. How can I repay you." He said setting me back down. "With that date you promised me when we get back." I replied. He hugged me tightly one last time and behind us stood a pissed off Phoenix.