22

Three days had passed since she wore the dress for her wedding and she had received a report the seamstress would arrive to complete the fitting and make some addition to it.

Without Rumpel by her side at the dinning table, she had enough of the lemon pound cake and mint tea, and rose from her seat.

As she did, she heard the doors open to meet her least favorite person in the world. Currently eyeing her person.

"Uncle Winton." she called. "Forgive me, I didn't know you were returning so soon."

"Darelle, Darelle, I didn't know you had the effrontery to carry out what you did." he said, walking toward her. "I'm amazed, I didn't know you had it in you. Congratulations on your wedding." he gave her a smile right in front of her.

The princess watched him go about his way and had an inkling that something was wrong. Or was she mad to have think her uncle forced the marriage on her?

She walked out of the room and heard hurried footsteps behind her. Turning her head to Marisa, who had joined her, concerned and worried. "I just saw your second uncle walk past me."

"I know." Darelle said as she looked ahead. "He just spoke to me in the dinning hall. Giving his blessing or something of the sort."

"An odd ball, your uncle has been. I don't think he took it well that you would've put this kingdom in jeopardy."

The princess searched the premises for any eyes or ears. "What I know is well, he has no issue with the whole thing. And if he did, he can't barely fight it out with Rumpel."

"Can you go to my chambers and recover the slippers I meant to wear with dress?" Darelle pleaded.

Her friend nodded her head. "Your wish is fulfilled. I shall have them right away."

And they separated.

The princess cast every disturbing thought aside and walked to the room that held her latest appointment with the madame since she had a wedding to see to.

She locked the door behind her and lifted her eyes to see two men chatting. "Rum."

Her lover stood whatever he was saying and smiled warmly at her. "This is Madame Snow's replacement."

Concern washed over her. "What happened to her?" Darelle asked, the young white haired man in front of her and her lover.

"She wouldn't be able to come as she's resting under the doctor's advice and is staying away from fatty foods. But she sends you, her greetings."

"You are . . . ?" she tried to remember if the madame ever told her of a man. Was he her son? The princess thought.

"Halon." Her lover put an end to her guessing game, and suspicious tone. "He's my brother, Halon."

Shocked, a gasp of disbelief escaped the princess and turned from one man to the other, and found the resemblance between the two in her front. "How is that possible?" she asked, she has never heard of him in the books and not once had Rumpel mentioned his name.

"How did you think I was born?" Her doctor asked her with a crooked smile. "Did you really think I came to life from flowers, Dare? I'm flesh and blood. I had grandparents, I had my parents and I have a brother."

"Why didn't you tell me about him? I told you of my darkest secret and you couldn't tell me yours." Her voice broke down in pain.

"Because my family is dead and I didn't know whether my brother was dead, alive or my foe. For years he was a nightmare before me until I met him, again. It wasn't easy but I didn't want you to think or worry about me." His way of reasoning got to her.