Chapter Eleven

Word count - 2,659

Ch - 11

The group of hungry Dwarves, with the exception of the woman, a Hobbit, and a wizard, followed Lord Elrond through Rivendell on his heels. After all were seated, the food was brought out by Elves dressed in beautiful robes decorated in jewels that looked to be carved out of the stars themselves.

The food was entirely vegetables and fruit, enough to feed the Dwarves twice over. If only they would eat it.

"Try it," Dori tried to encourage the youngest Dwarf to eat his greens on his fork. "I don't like green food." Ori dropped the leaves into his plate, preferring to stay hungry than to give it a try.

Across the table from Adelaide, who was very uncomfortable trying to bend her back to be at an acceptable height to fit, Dwalin grabbed a fist full of the salad before dropping it back into the delicate bowl, "Where's the meat?" He asked, every Dwarf was as puzzled as he.

Trying to find any form of sustenance, Ori spoke up, "have they got any chips?"

Adelaide tried to ignore their stubbornness and enjoy the evening in Rivendell. As the Elves began to play an assortment of different instruments, Oin stuffed his ear horn to block out the noise. Adelaide was trying to tune out the music as well, though for a different reason than the elder Dwarf. She was listening into the conversation happening at the other table between Lord Elrond and her companions.

She could hear Elrond examining Thorin's newfound sword, though her attention was dragged away from that table when Kili made a comment.

"Can't say I fancy Elf maids myself. Too thin. They're all high cheekbones and creamy skin. Not enough facial hair for me. Although, that one there's not bad."  Glancing in the direction he was looking, Adelaide covered her mouth trying to drown the laugh that was bubbling up in her throat.

"Uh, Kili-" She was cut off by Dwalin, he glanced at her before putting an arm around the young Dwarf, "That's not an Elf maid."

Kilis face drained of all colour when he looked to the Elf again, humiliated as their table burst into laughter. Adelaide lightly chuckled to herself but quickly cut it off when she was confronted with Thorin's curious stare. For the first time, Adelaide looked away first, uncomfortable with his constant staring. Why wouldn't he just speak to her? If he had an issue he should speak about it before continuing the journey. It will just make the trip harder for the both of them. Though she wouldn't be lying if she said she didn't enjoy knowing he was watching her. She felt like he was considering her a proper part of the company. She preferred the odd stare over the complete silent treatment she was receiving the first few days of the journey.

As the light started to dip below the horizon, Adelaide found herself wandering through the different gardens the Elves took care of. She followed the cobblestone paths that were spaced out, careful not to disturb any wildlife living near. Fireflies, birds, chipmunks and butterflies calmly continued scavenging for food, not concerned with her presence in the garden. The trees were neatly trimmed and kept healthy, the bushes of different vibrant flowers seemed to be thriving around their environment. Adelaide settled herself sitting on the bank of a little pond filled with small fish. The woman stared at her reflection, angry scars stared back at her. She trailed her index finger across her lower cheek. She could feel the valley of scar tissue that dipped into her skin. The mark was dark and purple. Though it was long since healed, to her, psychologically, it was still sensitive to the touch.

Bilbo asked about the scar. She didn't know how she would tell him about it. She told Dwalin, but Bilbo would ask questions to further understand, she knew.