Chapter sixteen

Word count: (1,856)

Ch- 16

Adelaide was in a fair bit of pain, her skin revealed dark hues of blue and yellow blood pools from thigh to ankle. Her lip was splitting and wouldn't stop bleeding, her head had hurt from the fall, and a warg had bit her quite hard on the shoulder. She stayed in the bushes alone for a while after changing back from the bear, she was thankful Gandalf had brought her bag for her. The ache in her muscles made every movement ache and stretch. She changed into black trousers and a dark grey tunic that fit loosely, but it was good enough. She had an extra pair of boots, they were run down but that's better than nothing.

She tried to put off going back to the camp for a while, but she'd have to go eventually. Adelaide couldn't help but dread the reactions she had the possibility of facing upon her return, in fear of criticism or rejection. She did her best to walk without the limp showing, but that was a challenge. She needed to get her wounds looked at, hopefully Gandalf could be discreet about it, seeing as he would be the one she would seek out.

Adelaide slowly made her way through the forest toward the smell of fire and the familiar stink of the dwarves, the pungent smell in the air making her nose sting. She paused for a moment when she was greeted, "Adelaide, lass! Where've you been? Are you alright?" Balin immediately brought all the attention to her, though his intentions were pure. Adelaide nodded, "M'fine."

"You don't look fine." Dwalin, standing with his arms crossed as the fire danced in front of him, his expression stoic, gestured to her shoulder, a blood stain made prominent by the amber lights.

Were they going to make no mention of it? No fear? No hesitations or cautions towards her now? She could hardly believe they had no qualms with her being present, or even near them.

Balin approached, a concerned and worried look in his eyes, a crease in his brow, he grabbed her arm and brought her to the log they were sitting on, as gentle as a dwarf could be, "Come. Sit so we can have a look."

Soon, almost all of the dwarves were closer to her, like they were waiting for her to answer every one of their questions.

Adelaide reluctantly unbuttoned a few pins in her shirt and moved it to the side, slipping it off her shoulder so Balin could have a look at it. She saw Bilbo sitting beside her and smiled as best she could without hurting her lip further.

"You're limping." He stated, not questioned. "What happened?"

Gandalf now made his way over, sitting himself down beside her, rather unbothered by her condition.

"I just had a little fall."

A harsh and gravelly voice spoke from behind her, "A 'little'? You were dragged down to the depths of a cave with a thousand pound goblin attached."

Thorin... right.

"It's not the worst I've seen, it's not a big deal." Adelaide didn't like being treated like she was weak or anything like it, so she'd make it seem like she was fine. Thorin wasn't having it, how dare she? How dare she brush this off...

"You're going to answer all of my questions, understand?" Thorin now moved to stand in front of her, and a few of the youngest dwarves left the area, not liking the tone of his voice, not wishing to have to bear witness to his behaviour. Balin was busy treating Adelaide's shoulder while Dwalin stood near Thorin. Bilbo stayed close, offering silent support.

Adelaide took a moment to think about it, weighing the possible outcomes, but eventually agreed. "I can do that."

Thorin stepped closer to keep their conversation somewhat private, which she appreciated whether he meant to do it or not. Thorin glanced at the four people around them wishing they'd leave but Adelaide trusted them so she probed him to ask his questions.