Chapter 3

According to what the traveling duo got from Nahida's explanation, Scaramouche was there to help Lumine find more information on her brother in Irminsul. Apparently, his knowledge as a Fatui harbinger and the remnants of divinity left in him can help them find the information they were looking for from the vast ocean of knowledge stored in Irminsul's records faster. The God of Wisdom seemed to have struck a deal with the currently 'valueless' puppet and he seemed willing to cooperate. And, so, here they were at the heart of Irminsul together, drowning in all the knowledge of the world until the Balladeer came across some anonymous data. Well, came across wouldn't be the right way to phrase it since the dendro archon made sure he'd 'naturally' come across this piece of information. But they wouldn't have any way of knowing that at that point in time. The moment he touched the sapling of data, they started seeing the memories of the Tatarasuna incident from five hundred years ago through the eyes of The Doctor.

The next time their consciousness came back to their own bodies, everything had changed for Scaramouche. His truth, his life, his purpose, his existence, everything was in vain, it had all lost its meaning. Of course keeping the Balladeer ignorant about his own history would mean that he'd never know the truth of the incident, he'd be left alone to resent his first friend for the rest of his life.

But what good did any of this do? Once he came face to face with the truth behind the scenes, he loathed himself and regretted his actions to the point of wanting to delete his very existence. His whole life so far had been built on lies. The fact that he had always wished he was never born to begin with only cemented his determination. He wanted to undo everything from the start, both the good times and the bad ones. If such bonds with humans would only lead to such disasters, then it would be better if he had never existed to begin with. All this time, his past was about how he was wronged. And now, all of a sudden, it became a story of how he had wronged everyone else without any knowledge of what had actually happened. Instead of making The Doctor pay for his actions, he ended up cooperating with him. That too, to take lives of the innocent.

The realization that he had misunderstood and cursed his first family and friend for so many centuries was...

He should have trusted him more, he should have had more faith. It was all his fault. And Dottore's. Oh, Dottore.

He simply could not continue living on with this burden anymore. If the deletion of his existence could undo all the pain and sufferings of the people who have now been made extinct, it would merely be a cheap price to pay. Even more than wanting to redeem himself, his fear of living with himself, knowing he wronged generations of families for no real reason was what drove him to instantly make the decision. He wanted to let everyone who died because of him have another chance at life. He saw no reason why such good people had to suffer such cruel deaths, that too at his own hands. He concluded that removing his existence would let them have a happy ending, and if it was in his hands, he wouldn't hesitate for a second to make it happen.

And so he erased himself from history. He deleted his existence. History of Tatarasuna and Inazuman smithy had changed.

Or at least, that's how everyone remembered things happening now.