Chapter 2 - Curiosity Killed the Kitty

The next morning I got out of bed quickly with a small twinge of hope in my heart. After sneaking back into the apartment that night, I rushed over to my laptop to see if the place was just some sort of joke, and to my surprise it was real and legit. There was something about this place that really seemed to pique my interest. According to the website it is a location with a program specifically meant for adults to "release their inner child". This sounded amazing to me, as I felt tainted by my past mistakes and experiences. I obviously wanted to unlock that side of myself again. There weren't many images that came up of the place besides crude child-like drawings, pictures of almost empty pastel rooms, and a picture of what I assumed the front of the building looked like.

I thought about the way the building was designed as I shuffled to the bathroom, sleepily starting my morning routine. I recalled in my mind how it was a large white-brick building with cartoons of aesthetically pleasing rainbows and clouds painted across the walls. The front double doors had a happy little sun and moon print on each door ant they were shadowed by a medium-sized red triangle block awning. Holding up this awning were two pillars that were shaped like ABC blocks, almost like a giant had stacked them up as such. The roof was a light baby blue and it all tied together like something out of a fairy tale. The cherry on top was on the awning,  a sign that read "The Daycare" in bright goofy shaped letters. I wondered what it would be like to truly be there, to be a child again. I turned my attention back to my current task, trying to look like a human again.

 I leaned onto the white counter of the bathroom sink with my hands and let my eyes glaze over my average features. I didn't see myself as pretty, or even ugly, just normal. I had mid-back chestnut brown hair that was poking up in certain places as it tried to escape the two braids I did at night. Most likely the result of my tossing and turning. My emerald green colored eyes were framed by long brown eyelashes that were only visible when I wore 10 lbs. of mascara. Speaking of, last night's was still smeared across my face. Unlike my mother, I had rounder eyes and a round face to match. I had one freckle under my right eye which was probably the most unique thing about me. I wasn't the skinniest girl either, as said before, so the baggy t-shirt I wore to bed shamelessly covered the horrors of my tummy and thighs underneath it. I forced a smile and my lips thinned into a soft pink line. I had one dimple on my right side that only showed when I actually smiled, so it resisted. I relaxed my face again and huffed in disappointment.

I was prone to disappearing in my thoughts and now all I thought about was how strange those people at the "Daycare" would find me if I actually showed up. Sure it was for adults who wanted to feel like a kid again, and I was one of those people, but I was still unsure. I decided to continue on with my routine and not think negatively.

 I brushed my teeth, undid my braids, and slid a soft white bow in the back of my hair to pull a few strands back. Soft curls cascaded past my shoulders and framed my face, making me look a little less chubby. I made my way to my bedroom and threw on the first outfit I saw, a white ruffled off-shoulder blouse under a pair of overalls with little butterfly designs sewn into the pant cuffs by yours truly. I felt cute enough to be seen in public but rushed back into the bathroom to put on makeup before I forgot. Mascara, nose blush, and ChapStick were enough for now, as I was unsure if I was over or under dressed.

I slipped on some pastel yellow Converse I wore on a daily basis and left to hop in my car. Since I was off today from work and the shelter, I wanted to check this place out. Thankfully I left before my mother woke up so I wouldn't be interrogated on my activities. I punched the address into the GPS and made my way to the building. It was a short drive out of the city but was deeply hidden and secluded. I had to turn down a driveway that led into the woods with "private property" signs posted everywhere on the trees. The driveway eventually fanned out into an open area including a parking lot and the building itself. To be completely honest it looked like something out of a horror movie when I had to drive all that way. However, when I finally got to see the building first hand, I stiffed a gasp.