Chapter 7 - Mother Knows Best

I am not a damsel in distress, I am a grown woman. I kept telling myself this as I slipped back into the apartment my mother and I shared. I have lived with her for twenty years and it still hasn't felt like home, even more now that my home felt like it belonged in the arms of some stranger. I hung up my keys and kicked off the sneakers I wore while some music played in the background. It was out of place, certainly out of the norm when my mother came out of the kitchen singing to it. Some pop songs from the 80's with soft boy band beats. She engulfed me in a tight hug and gave my cheek a quick peck. I stayed silent in confusion as she danced around me with a large smile on her face. I felt myself smile, feeling happy that she was happy. 

This was a repetitive thing to say the least. She would be angry at something, I would cry, then the next day she would be happy and I would fall for it. I guess I give in because I don't see it much and crave it. "You're unusually chipper", I said over the melody that was playing. She came to a stop only for a moment to purse her lips at me. 

"What do you mean unusually? I'm always happy, you just annoy me", she replied matter-of-factually and continued to sway to the music. I winced at the sudden half-insult half-joke but brushed it off. I moved past her to go to my bedroom, deciding a nap or games would take my mind off of the day. "Where are you going?", she called out to me and went to grab my arm. I pulled away gently to not escalate the situation. "You're home early from work, I want you to spend time with me", she said in a happy tone but there was an underlining hint of no other options for me. 

"I didn't go to work today mom, I went to-", I cut myself off and thought for a second, "see a friend. It didn't go so well and I'm tired so if it's okay, I'm going to take a nap." Her face twisted into a frown and she crossed her arms. 

"So you went out without telling me where you were going? Who is this friend? Is it a man? You realize that you trust people too easily. Please tell me you didn't do something stupid.", she rambled off and I shook my head quickly. 

"No mom I just need to take a nap to recharge, it wasn't like that", I defended myself but she grabbed my arm again. 

"You're going to spend time with me, no buts, I'm tired of you wasting away in that room. I'm your mother, I feed you, I clothe you, I keep a roof over your head, you have to spend time with me.", her grip tightened and it started to really hurt me. I tugged my arm away but she dug her fingers into me, sprouting fresh tears from my eyes. "Oh don't start crying I'm not hurting you." She really couldn't see it, the pain she caused, and that hurt even more. I wish I could tell her but I know it would hurt her. I just needed to get away.

I finally broke free and rushed to the door, grabbing my keys and bag on the way out. I ran onto the hot concrete of the apartment building with only the white frilly socks protecting my feet. I cursed as I happened to step on every rock and stick that was strewn about. I wasn't sure where I was going but I knew for damn sure it was away. Away from everything. I ran across the parking lot to the empty playground which was deserted because children were in school at this time. Perfect for me. I scrambled over the wood chips that adorned the ground to the swings but stopped when I saw someone there waiting for me. 

"Hi cariño", Jason spoke softly as if he was going to scare me away. I scoffed loudly and threw my hands up. 

"Great! Now you're stalking me! Can this day get any better! Why can't everyone just leave me the fuck alone!", I barked and my chest heaved with anger. Jason's grey-blue eyes widened slightly and he went into a slow stand. I felt my fight or flight kick in but I stood there frozen, trembling. He closed the distance between us and wrapped me up in a tight hug. I kicked and beat against his chest with all my strength as he embraced me. "Let me go! Let me go! Leave me alone!", I cried and tried to push his arms away. He still held on, taking the punches as I threw them. Eventually my attacks died down to a reduced wimper as I gave into him. I laid my face into his chest and sobbed, feeling overwhelmed by everything. He stayed right with me until the crying stopped and pulled me out at arms length. I looked up at him and saw the look of empathy in his face. I hated it, I hated how he made me feel. I had only met him yesterday. 

He squatted down in front of me, confusing me until I felt my legs sweep out from underneath me. I gasped in surprise but didn't try to resist any longer. He started to carry me bridal style and I clung onto him in fear of falling. "Little chica's shouldn't be outside without shoes", he spoke softly and kissed my forehead. I felt heat rise to my cheeks and I turned away. "Aurora", he spoke and a warm feeling spread through my body as he spoke my name, "come back to the daycare with me, let me care for you. Eme said she misses you already."

"She does?", I answered quietly, my face turning back to his. He let out a laugh and nodded his head. I bit my lip in thought and nodded back. "Alright take me back" He grinned with triumph in his face and started to walk towards the parking lot. 

"Alright amor I'll take you back and then when it's time to come home I'll bring you home.", he said but stopped walking when I clasped onto him tighter. He looked down at me and read my expression clearly seeing my disapproval. "Do you not want to come back home?", he asked. I shook my head quickly and he nodded in agreement. "Alright, tell you what, I'll let you stay in my home tonight.", he decided and started to walk to what I assumed is his car once more. 

"Your home?! I can't! I'm a stranger and I just met you yesterday!", I yipped.

He smiled down at me, "Well would you rather go to my house or back home?" I closed my mouth and looked away. "That's what I thought", he chuckled and set me down so he could open the door for me. I sat into the passenger side and went to put the seat-belt on but stopped me and leaned over to buckle me in himself. It made me feel so safe, with those random acts of kindness. He jumped into the driver's side and started the car. When we finally pulled out of the parking lot I sunk into the nice cushioned seats while the whole car which smelled like him lulled me into sleepiness, and finally got that nap I was wanting.