Chapter 5 - Little Snooper(s)

I downed the fruit cup quickly as I didn't really eat anything for breakfast like an idiot. The juices ran down my chin sloppily, causing me to wince at the stickiness. I supposed now was a good time to find a restroom so I stood up from the chair I was sitting in and made my way to the nearest trash can. After throwing away the disposable cup and fork I hauled myself to the hallway. I looked both ways to scan for any restrooms, but my eyes landed onto the door at the end of the hall. Mr. Jamie's office was the plainest door, no signs, no colorful drawings, just a plain door, but it held the most feelings I have had in a while. I wanted to see him again. It wasn't like I was in love with him, just desperate for the comfort he gave me.

I pushed those thoughts deep down and decided to go in the direction of the stairs since I didn't check that way yet. At the end where the stairs were there was a bathroom right around the corner as the hallway was shaped like a "T" almost with the top part opening up to the stairs. Across from this bathroom was an elevator, showing there was indeed 5 stories. Beside this was a plaque showing what was contained in all floors, but the stickiness of the fruit became unbearable for me to focus on what it said. 

 I popped into the bathroom and splashed my face with water to wipe the juice away. After feeling refreshed I stepped back out, wondering what to do next as napping was now not an option to me. The hall was silent for a moment until I heard the pitter-patter of feet running down the stairs. I looked up to see Eme running down at full speed as Mr. King struggled to keep up. She stopped when she saw me and ran up, engulfing me into a hug with her sparkly band-aid covered arms.

"Ro-ra!", she squealed, her mood completely changed from the one before. Mr. King snatched her from behind like she was a rag-doll and she yelped in response. He spun her around a few times, letting out loud laughter.

"Don't you remember? Those hugs are only for me!", his booming voice filled the air as he swung her around. She giggled in unison and kicked her feet.

"Noooo! Put me down Kingy! Put me down!", she playfully whined, and he set her down gently. He gave me a lopsided smile and ruffled my hair, and I grumbled in protest. I pushed his hands away from messing up my hair and he let out a deep rumbling laugh.

"Thanks squirt, for doing the right thing.", he spoke almost kindly. He shot Eme a wink, "Stay here shorty I have to take care of something." He shuffled away with his hands in his pockets, whistling an old tune. He was overly jolly now, a grand 180 from how he was before. I turned to Eme with a puzzled look on my face.

"Isn't he so sweet?", she gushed, holding her hands on her face. She grabbed my hand and started swaying it back and forth. I laughed at her in disbelief.

"Are you guys official or something?", I mumbled around my pacifier that I placed back into my mouth without thinking. Eme turned to me, a love-stricken glaze in her eyes.

"Of course we are! We're gonna get married and he's gonna take care of me. Oh! Did you know he used to be a police officer!", she rambled on, and I waved my hands to cut her off.

"Whoa, whoa, hold on. You can't marry someone you just met! What if you don't actually like each other that much, he doesn't even know your favorite color!", I stumbled over my words as I tried to get her to understand the situation. She just shook her head, a large smile crossing her face.

"I can, I will, and it's green, he knows this.", she triumphantly stated, and I couldn't help but feel like a disappointed older sibling, no matter if we were both clearly twenty. I looked down the hallway in mild curiosity or maybe for a distraction from the crazy conversation I was having. It was then I saw Mr. King slide into Mr. Jamie's office.

The curiosity was just too great to bear, I had to hear what he was talking about. "C'mon Eme!", I half whispered, half yelled. I grabbed her hand and led her down the hallway to the office door, where muffled talking could be heard. I pressed my ear to the door and waved for her to follow suit. She pressed her ear to the door with a mischievous smile and the conversation became clearer.