Chapter 4 - Fren?

Ms. Rose led me past a few doors in the hallway, each labeled with a sign that I'm sure was to give context to what was inside. I couldn't help but let my eyes wander to each door, wondering what secrets were inside or fun things I could do. My attention quickly went to the "Cafe" where I heard loud squealing sounds of other littles. The double doors to this room were propped open so I could see inside. 

It was a large, spacious room, filled with long tables with colorful plastic chairs on each side of them. It was much like a typical American lunchroom layout, but the chairs had backs to them and were occupied with all kinds of adults dressed as kids and even babies. A large group was swarming a table where cups of cut up fruit were placed and women in cute aprons were handing them out. I gasped in excitement and tugged Ms. Rose towards that direction, and I felt her stop me in my tracks.

"No-no little one, you need a nap", she firmly said and looked back at her with a whine. I was unsure why I was acting like this, but it felt good. The environment was surely getting to me but I knew finally it was okay to act like this so the side I've been hiding for so long started to show through. She let out a long sigh and tucked one misbehaving strand of hair behind my ear. "Alright, one fruit cup, then nap time, okay?" she held up one finger, emphasizing on the one. A squeal escaped behind the pacifier that was still shoved in my mouth, and I practically dragged her to the table where all the others were waiting in line. As we got closer, I made out the fruit in the cup. It was bananas, mango, and pineapple cut up in little bite sized pieces. I excitedly waited in line but turned to look at a small whining sound near me.

Another "little" was tugging at Ms. Rose's arm on the other side of her. It was the boy I saw in the lobby who looked like a little teddy bear. He had the hood up so the only thing that was visible were his hands, face, and tight brown curls that poked out from underneath. He had bright brown eyes and his bottom lip poked out as he looked up at her. "Big boy words Micky", Ms. Rose purred at him, and I saw blush creep up on his olive-beige cheeks.

"Prewwy please Ms. Rose, I needs you", he said softly, his eyes shining as he looked up at her. He was so captivated by her, and his eyes stayed glued to her face. She reached her free hand to hold his face and he sunk into it, closing his eyes. She let go of my hand and scooped him into her arms, holding him as if he was a toddler. It was then I remembered what she said in the office, none of them are supposed to get attached to the littles. She turned around to face me again, her left arm tucked under his bum to hold him and her right rubbing his back gently.

"Sorry Aurora, I have to take care of this. Go ahead and get your snack then you need to go take a nap. Oh, and this is between me and you, okay? Jamie would have my head if I left you alone randomly, don't tell him I said that either.", I simply nodded my head in acknowledgement, and she gave me a relieved look. When she started to walk away Mickey's head perked up and he gave me a small friendly wave goodbye, then snuggled back into her. I watched as they left the cafe and disappeared around the corner. Right when I turned my attention back to the table, I realized I was next.

I stepped forward and two ladies with light baby blue aprons, white chef button ups, and white chef skirts smiled in unison. They were clearly twins, both had high buns, the same plump facial features, the same deep blue eyes, and even the same smiles. It was like looking in a mirror, but only it wasn't me. One handed me a cup and a small fork and spoke up. "Well, hi sweetie!", she spoke in a thick southern American accent, "you're a new one ain't-cha?" I nodded yes and she turned to her twin. Her twin started talking after her, I could now see the difference as she had a deeper voice, but still highly feminine.

"Welcome home honey, make sure you eat all of that fruit, so you grow big and strong!", she cheerfully spoke and leaned over to pinch my cheek with her gloved hand.