𝐶𝒉𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 4 - 𝐼 𝑚𝑖𝑠𝑠𝑒𝑑 𝑦𝑜𝑢|𝐴𝑣𝑎

I purse my lips and glare at myself through the mirror inside my car. It's quite annoying, really. I think you'd understand if you had social anxiety too. It's been 7 minutes since I arrived at school, and I can't bring myself to step out of my car and face the wrath of first-day attention.

I shake my head, take a deep breath, and open the door with my bag slung over my shoulders. Then I hear an annoyed voice behind me,
"You just took my spot."

I turn around, ready to glare at whoever it was, but I just stare at him, memories gripping me. He breaks the silence, "DUDE! Ava! Oh my god!"

I smile and it feels real, for the first time in a long time, "Hey, Nick," my voice grows soft.
He closes the distance between us and hugs me. "I missed you."
I wrap my hands around him, "I missed you, too."

He falls back, "What are you doing here?"

"Oh long story. I'll explain later."

"Okay, but I'll go tell the guys-"

"Keep it a secret for me, will you?" I wink at him

He grins, "Sure."

I turn to my car, "So, I took your spot huh?"

"I'll take Aiden's." He winks back.

We both part ways at the front desk. The lady behind the desk takes a look at me, "Name?"

"Ava Carys, year 12."

"Right. Here's your timetable. Go straight and turn left for the lockers. Your classroom will be right up the stairs."

I take the sheet of paper just as the bell rings, "Thank you."

I leave everything in my locker except a pen and a notebook and head to Mr. Turner's English class, trying to ignore all the stares in the hallway.

I knock on the classroom's open door, wheeling Mr. Turner's attention to me. He waits for me to explain myself.
"Transfer student, Sir."

"Oh come on in." He waves me inside

I spot a lot of familiar faces in the class, but the faces which ease my nerves and anxiety were the ones of my friends. They all turn their heads in my direction and I see Jace choke on his coffee in his seat, Aiden watches me dumbfounded, and Willow just stares at me.

Mr. Turner heaves a sigh beside me, "Jace, I've told you a million times. No drinks inside my class and Aiden put your feet down from the chair." He faces me, "Introduce yourself."

I grin at the class, trying to hide the shake in my hands, "Hello, I'm Ava. Transfer student from Chicago. Nice to meet you."

"Alright. Go take the last seat in the middle right row. "

The seat was right next to Jace's. I put my book on the desk and take a seat as Mr. Turner resumes his class.

I glance at him to find his eyes already on me, "You're kidding me." His eyebrows knit together. I chuckle, "Unfortunately for you, I'm not, Judith."

Aiden whips his head, "Dude, she called you Judith. This is real."

Willow sits two rows away from us, staring at me with her eyebrows raised,
I mouth in her direction, "Hi,"
She mouths back something like, "Motherfucker- I'm gonna kill you!"

I roll my eyes.

"Ms. Dyer and new girl, I will personally send you both to detention if you don't start paying attention."

Willow clears her throat, "sorry."

I lean back into my seat and try to bear through the rest of the class.

~time skip~

When the bell finally rings and Mr. Turner leaves, I get wrapped in a tight hug and then get cornered by three sets of glares.

I awkwardly lift my arm and send them a little wave, "...hi."

Aiden begins, "Hi? That's all you have to say to us?!"

Jace unlocks his phone and sticks it in my face, "The last time you texted me was 1 year, 4 months, and 13 days ago!"

Guilt starts eating at me.

Willow just stays quiet.

Aiden paces back and forth, "No calls returned. Texts left on seen-,"

I stare at my feet, "I'm sorry, you guys. I-"

"The last four," A tall guy who looks about 45 points at us, "Unless you're taking my class, get out.''

Willow dips her head and grabs my hand, "Uh yes, sir."

All four of us rush out.

"What's next?" I ask

"History for me," Willow replies

I wait, "Guys, for us?"

Aiden and Jace stare at each other as if they sense impending doom, "Ava, I still hope you're as fast as before, " Aiden grabs my hand

"Why?"

"Because we've got Mr. Rao's class and we're 5 minutes late," Jace says and we take off running.

"Dude," I pant, "worst case scenario we get detention for 2 days. Why are you both being such nerds?"

"No, worst case scenario, we get detention and get handed the job of cleaning the bathrooms every day for 2 weeks." Jace gasps

"We speak from experience." Aiden sobs

"What?!" I yell, "What kind of dumb, sadistic punishment is that?!"

We sprint up a flight of stairs and spot the classroom. The doors are closed.

"Rock, paper, scissors for whoever has to knock," Jace suggests

After 3 quick rounds, Aiden's hand wobbles as he knocks on the door, "Lord, show me mercy." he pleads

The door opens and a short man steps out. I resist the urge to make a sarcastic comment and greet him, "Good morning sir."

He sneers at all three of us, "Late by 8 minutes. Pathetic Pigeons."

I fold my lips. 𝘱𝘢𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘤 𝘱𝘪𝘨𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘴. He just said 𝘱𝘢𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘤 𝘱𝘪𝘨𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘴. It takes all of my willpower not to burst out laughing.

"I see you both haven't learned your lesson yet, Alexis and Woodie."

I fold my lips tighter. 𝘈𝘭𝘦𝘹𝘪𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘞𝘰𝘰𝘥𝘪𝘦. I start biting my lips and try to think of un-funny things. History class. Chemistry. 𝘱𝘢𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘤 𝘱𝘪𝘨𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘴. Nuh-uh. Cow shit. Chemistry. 𝘈𝘭𝘦𝘹𝘪𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘞𝘰𝘰𝘥𝘪𝘦. I clear my throat.

"2 weeks of detention and bathroom cleaning for all three of you." He announces, at last, walking back into the room.

"Are you waiting for the red carpet or what?! Fuckin fools! Get in!" He yells

I get inside and take the first empty seat I see. I spot Nick near the window. He throws me a little wave but goes back to paying attention.

After what feels like a decade, the class ends. I let out a breath of relief. But then I remember I have to stay back for detention and bathroom cleaning after school which makes me feel like-

"I want to kill myself." Aiden whines

Yeah, that. It makes me feel like that.
I snicker, "Alexis and Woodie?"
"What the fuck is up with that?"

"Oh don't get me started." Nick rolls his eyes

Jace smirks, "Guess what he calls Nick."

I grin, "What?"

"Bucket," Aiden replies

I choke on my spit. "You're fucking with me."

Jace starts laughing.

"Oh my god!" I laugh

We walk out of class together talking about stupid random things and I feel just a tiny bit relevant for now.