Jamais

The title is from the song Jamais from The Peppermint Rainbows!

_________
SAME DAY

"Hey, do you mind picking up my shift tomorrow? I'm busy." Your least favorite coworker, Jackie, was now right in front of you.

"But...tomorrow is my day off."

"I know it's just," She sighs, irritated, "I need you to do this, you see me and my boyfriend-"

"Fine, fine. I'll do it." You didn't want to hear about her and her boyfriend.

"Thanks!" She said as she walked away. You let out a breath and opened your car door. You got in and began driving to your apartment.

When you arrived at your apartment, you opened the door and walked up the fire stairs. The elevator had been broken for months now. When you got to your floor, you walked up to your door and unlocked it.

You looked around, everything was seemingly the same; not that it would be any different. You had a couple of decorations up, but because you were broke it wasn't much. You took your hair out of its hairstyle and changed your clothes into a simple tank top and pj pants.

You then walked back into the kitchen and fed your cat, Molly. She howled a meow at you, saying 'Hurry up'.

You then walked over to the couch and put on your favorite show, New Girl, as background noise while you worked on your computer, trying to find a better-paying job. You scrolled helplessly, wondering if you'd ever actually succeeded in New York.

Your phone pinged, it was Jason.

call later tonight?

How about right now?

alr

Your phone rang and you answered his call.

"Hey, how's New York?"

"You ask that every time we talk, Jason. It's the same as it was two days ago." You laughed.

"Just tryna make conversation. Find another job yet? I know you've been trying."

"No," you looked down at your computer, "it's just..hard."

"You'll get through it."

"I hope so."

"Hey,-"

"No, Jason. There's no guarantee that I'll be able to stay here."

"Well you don't want to move back to Renton Washington, do you?"

"Fuck. No."

"Exactly. If you work your ass off, like you always have, then you'll get it." He said, but the words weren't convincing, and you felt tears form.