How Many Times Can I Say "thank you?"

Sunday, June 30th

You pushed the small shopping cart forward through the aisle, trying to decide what was too heavy to carry up your apartment stairs. Something you needed was inevitably going to be heavy, and you would just have to deal with it. But you weren't going to torture yourself on purpose.

You reluctantly grabbed the large jug of milk and stored it inside your cart. You also grabbed some other snacks, meals for the week, and multiple energy drinks. You made your way to the front of the small grocery store.

"Hi, Sam! How are you today?" You greeted the worker.

"Oh, nice to see you again," he says, his thick Scottish accent filling the air.

"Just these," you accidentally glance over to the array of candy, grabbing a chocolate bar,  "oh- and this as well. Thanks." You said as you placed the chocolate on the counter, along with the rest of your items.

Sam scanned the items with a 'beep' from the scanner, he told you your total and you reached for your purse. You pulled out your credit card and handed it to Sam. You paid, grabbed your things, and began walking out of the door.

"Thanks, have a good one!" You yelled as you were suddenly met with the bright summer sun and loud sounds of construction. You had multiple bags in each hand, suddenly cursing the fact that humans had to eat. You had walked three blocks away from your apartment, now you had to do it again.

However, it wasn't a boring walk, there were so many people, and so much movement in this city. That was one of the things you loved about it. With multiple presses of crosswalks and many steps, you were only a block away from your apartment.

Bzzz

bzzz

bzzz

You groaned as you struggled to reach for your phone in your pocket and place it between your shoulder and your face, answering the incoming call without even looking at who it was.

"Hello?" You said. There was a silence on the other end. "Hello? Who is this?"

You heard a sigh on the other end, "Hey, honey."

You stopped in your tracks, almost dropping your grocery bags on the ground. Your heart dropped and you felt your body get weak.

"Mom?" 

"Please, listen, before you-"

"What the fuck is wrong with you? After all this time and everything you did to me? You call me? Fuck you, mom, fuck. You." You began to yell now, your day ruined, your week even. People around you didn't look, they were used to it.

"Please, let me explain!"

"Explain what? You know what- I'm not entertaining this. Goodbye." She began to speak again, but you just hung up. You couldn't take that. You could've sworn you blocked her.

You felt tears prick at your eyes, but you refused to cry over that woman. You picked up your groceries and continued walking, once you finally reached your apartment. You set your groceries on the counter and fell to your knees.

Your mother. Your worst fear. Someone you haven't spoken to since you moved out, and she dared to call you.

James

You needed to talk to James. Right now. You reached for your phone, your eyes blurry and confused. And pressed call. But it wasn't James who answered.

"Uh- Hello?" Peter said, a slight hint of confusion in his voice. You didn't respond, you meant to call James. Not Peter.

"Sorry," you clear your throat, "I meant to...call someone else."