PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE:

[Europe, 1415]

A baby is given life on a stormy night. The rain hits against the windows heavily and lightning flashes, lighting up empty rooms. However, its cries can be heard down the halls despite being in the lower levels of the small mansion. The midwives try to quickly hush the baby, afraid it'll wake the other residents in the home. The baby's cries calm to quiet whimpers as it is being cleaned.

"It's a girl." One of the midwives smiles as she cleanses the skin. "She is very beautiful."

The mother of the child does not respond immediately. Her silence is not because of shock but of fear. Fear for what the birth of this child means and what it'll do to her family. Reason being, this was the first daughter born out of a bloodline with a long history of sons. Thus, it is to be assumed no good will come of this newborn.

"She is cursed," The mother says.

The midwives become frozen, staring at each other with fearful looks.

"N-Now why would you say such a thing?" One questions, cleaning off the sweat off the mother's brows. "The child is not cursed."

"You know just as well as I the curse of this family." The mother says. "My child is cursed."

The midwife sighs. "Please, rest. Don't believe such silly things."

"Please protect her." The mother calls after the midwife taking the child away. "They'll kill her if the see what she'll become."

"Rest," The previous midwife urges.

As the mother closes her eyes to rest, both midwives take the child and begin to dress it. They were preparing hurriedly, knowing the father was soon to be on his way. Their hearts pounding heavily in their chests and as footsteps approached the wooden door, their hands began to tremble.

There was a knock on the door, startling both. One slowly approached the door, pulling it open and greeting the tall man on the other side.

"Where is it?" He asked, voice deep and intimidating.

"She is right here, sir." The other midwife finishes wrapping a warm blanket around the child.

As the baby is placed into the man's arms, he does not react at all. No smile nor a frown. Only an expressionless face before the baby was placed back into the midwife's arms without a word. He exits. On the other side of the door, a page boy waits.

"Send word to The Council that the baby is born." He instructs.

"W-What should I say should they ask for the sex?" The page boy asks.

The man stopped.

"Simply tell them the truth. We will deal with the consequences as they come."

The man continues walking leaving the now terrified page boy alone in the empty hallway.