Chapter Twenty-Four

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR:

[ALEX]

I wasn't sure how long I had kept myself holed up in the office. I had hoped that I could clear my head long enough to think straight. I needed to find a solution to this problem before others found out about it. I couldn't really ask for help within the pack, they were still unsure about Hailey. Could I blame them though? They didn't ask for this, no one did. I knew that I couldn't force them even with my position of power. I promised I'd be a fair alpha and I didn't want to put anyone on the frontlines if they didn't want to. Plus, we weren't at war either so I hoped we could handle this ourselves with our numbers.

I had to have faith everything would work out in our favor.

Still, there was a nagging thought that this could have been avoided had I just told Hailey what I knew. Her mom had sworn me to secrecy but I was worried for Hailey. She had yet to turn so there's no telling what the enemy will do to her in her current state. Hailey's been through enough to scare her but she's holding out.

Ryan came in after a few knocks on the door. He held papers in his hands and had a concerning look on his face.

"We found out where they took Hailey and who is responsible for all of this." He says, placing the papers in front of me. I looked them over as he continued. "It's a warehouse just on the border. It was used as some kind of lab but it was shut down a few months ago because the owner got into some trouble."

"What kind of trouble?" I asked.

"Well the community wasn't really happy with what went on in the labs." Ryan explained. "Apparently inhumane experiments were conducted on a few wolves. Word got out and the people flipped."

I flipped through the rest of the papers before landing on a picture.

"She's behind all of this, Alex." Ryan says. "According to Nathan, Danny said he had seen her multiple times and the trackers can confirm it too."

I thanked him for the report and told him we'd be heading out tonight to find the warehouse. He seemed nervous but didn't ask any questions. Once he left, I let out the deep sigh I had been holding back.