Chapter Twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE

"Is it possible to have two mates?" I ask.

In response to my question, Carly choked on her drink, the milkshake sliding down the side of the plastic cup. She coughed for a few moments before wheezing, "What would make you think that?"

"I think I have two mates." I say. "Well, no, I know I have two mates but I'm not sure if that's normal. Is it?"

"Why do you think I know?" She asks, finally free from her coughing fit.

"You haven't denied the possibility."

She blinks. "I didn't,"

"So what is the verdict?" I ask again. "Is it possible?"

She sighs and fiddles with her thumbs. She had that same unsure expression I've been seeing lately from everyone. She wasn't sure if she should tell me either.

While she thought it over, my fingers found themselves twisting the silver locket from the day before between my fingers. If Alex and Nathan both were my mates, there's a sure chance I'd have to choose between the two and that isn't something I prefer to do.

"Yes," Carly says softly. "There is a possibility."

My eyes widen and my stomach drops. I was hoping she would tell me otherwise. I was hoping I was just imagining it.

She glanced around, "Here isn't the place to speak about it though."

I looked around too. We were sat at a table in the food court of the mall, it was busy and I caught some lingering gazes. Even in public, people recognized me as the Alpha's mate or the new girl in town. It had been almost three weeks but no one has yet to get used to seeing me.

"Is this a big deal? Should I be worried?" I ask her.

Another unsure look.

"Come on, I'll take you home." Carly says, tossing her unfinished milkshake.

The entire ride back home, Carly didn't say a word. I decided it was best to not ask any questions seeing that it seemed like a touchy subject. However, I couldn't help my mind from wondering what could be so major about this revelation. She said it was possible. Maybe, it's not normal?

We pulled into my driveway and parked. Carly got out at a fast pace making it hard for me to follow her. Instead of going inside, she went around back towards a flowerbed and dug around in the mulch. I opened my mouth to protest, knowing my mother wouldn't be happy to see her flowerbed ruined like it was, but I kept quiet.

I watched Carly pull out a single key and got back on her feet. I unlocked the backdoor as requested and we went down to the basement, stopping at a bookshelf.

"Do you really want to know, Hailey?" Carly asks me. Her back was facing me though I knew she was serious.

"I-I do,"

She sighed deeply, saying something in a whisper before pushing the bookshelf to the side and revealing a wooden door. The door had been hidden perfectly behind the bookshelf but now that it was out in the open, I was surprised to see a familiar emblem carved into the wood.

"Is that--"

"Your family's crest?" She glances over her shoulder. "Yes, it is."

"I've only seen it once or twice on funeral programs but never like this." I gape. It swallowed the majority of the surface so it was hard to miss. How my family hid this behind a bookshelf amazed me and caused me to wonder what else they've kept hidden behind things.