15

Though the breeze was gentle and warm, Flora still shivered as she crept through Gardenia's suburbs, her head constantly flicking back and forth for any sign of an angry wizard in pursuit.

She didn't know where she was or where she was going. All she knew was who she needed to find.

Helia.

Once she was with him, she would be safe. Once she was with him, this nightmare would finally end.

She followed one dark street into the next, the occasional scurrying of rats amongst the rows of deserted trash bags, snapping her out of her thoughts. She couldn't seem to get her head in the game, fatigue wearing her mind, and an uncomfortable, queasy feeling settled in his stomach.

Her nose scrunched up in disgust at the putrid smell of cigarettes from a group of smokers gathered in front of a shady looking bar.

Maybe they could help her?

"Excuse me," Flora called innocently, the three men turning at the sound of her voice, "do you know how to get to the Fruity Music Bar?"

"Well sure thing, doll!" One of them called beckoning her over with a fat, greasy index finger. Tufts of black chest hair poked out over his white tank top, stained by car oil, and he wore a slimy, conniving grin.

Instantly flora felt the queasiness in her stomach begin to swell as she slowly approached him, the air of unease growing.

"We go there all the time." Another reassured, a cigarette butt hanging from his lip.

Flora had asked strangers for help all the time on Linphea but this... felt wrong.

"Um, actually never mind, it's fine. I think I know where I'm going now anyway. Thank you for the help." She laughed nervously, turning back around, and heading in the opposite direction.

However, walking away, she felt her heart drop as she noticed their footsteps echoing hers.

"Hey pretty lady! Slow down, we don't bite- unless you want us too." The third voice jeered, met by a foul sounding laugh from the other two.

Something definitely wasn't right. Flora's gut churned as she urged herself to walk faster, despite her growing fatigue.

The footsteps increased to match her pace.

Trying to calm her racing heart she quickly peered over her shoulder. The men were right behind her, whistling as if beckoning a dog.

The sound made her stomach twist again.

If only Helia were here.

"You're weak, Flora." She heard his voice say. "But that's okay, I can protect you."

She knew that. Helia had always been there to protect her. But right now, where was he? She had to find him somehow.

"Come on, sweetheart, we're real friendly." The man with the stained tank top called after her.

Panicking, she broke into a run, hoping to put as much distance between them as she could. But noticing the park in the distance, an idea bloomed in her mind.

Nature. Her strength concentrated in one area.

Maybe it would be enough to overpower the magic-blocking charm on her bracelets?

Flora changed course.

The men followed.

She ran faster.

The footsteps behind her never relented.

Find Helia. He's the only one that can save me, she urged to the trees, to the grass, to the flowers.