Ch 2. Royal Disasters

"I'm afraid they're expecting you in there, dear." The old dog said with a small hint of regret to his voice. He gave her an encouraging arm around the shoulders as the only solace he could give. Though he was responsible for the castle's affairs, he had a fondness for the children as much as his own. "Can't have a throne empty, they would start a search party. We can't have another one of those now can we?" He chuckled and wagged his tail in good nature.

Ella smiled at him and leaned against him for a moment before she headed inside. The crowd was thirsty for someone or something new and immediately fixated on her. She was almost startled by it, but lifted her head high and began her royal walk to her small throne next to her mother's. The musicians that were waiting for the royals played a soft sweet tune as she walked, the people of the court bowing or curtseying for her. She acknowledged them with a tilt of her head as she was taught from a young age. Her eyes scanned the crowd for anyone she knew, which was in vain since it was all the same people who wanted to suck up to her father. Her ears twitched this way and that as conversations started in hushed whispers. Things about her looking lovely, but some darker murmurs about if she was fit to rule. She forced her ears forward and tried to block out all of the nonsense. She couldn't focus on that if she was to get through another stupid prince peddling his pelvis.

Her paws touched the cool marble of the stage where the thrones were. As she stepped up she smiled at her mother, the only one of her family to be present at the moment besides her. The queen had given her beauty to her daughter, with her dark hair and nearly white coat. Her gold eyes that were shining out of a mother's pride, the only thing she didn't share with the queen. The only difference was that her paws were pure white, unlike Ella's which were soot colored like her father. Ella sat beside her on a smaller throne and smiled at her.

"You look lovely, Ella." Her mother said softly.

"Thank you, Marcy does a wonderful job." Ella said.

The two smiled at each other as if for a moment it were a normal conversation between a mother and daughter, yet the air around them was very tense. The king hadn't arrived yet, and the court was assembled and already gossiping. Ella was used to things like this, but never got used to the feeling of it being uncomfortable. She didn't like that she was put on a pedestal and adored by the kingdom for nothing, or hated for something she didn't have any control over. When she became queen of an area with some power to do things, then she might be okay with it. Still, the responsibility of ruling seemed like much more trouble that it was worth.

Her brother came in from another direction to sit in his throne by the King's empty one. She waved to him a little, and earned herself a little wave back. He had been dressed as well, and was in a very handsome princely coat and trousers. He sat back and crossed his legs casually, something his mother detested but couldn't stop him from doing. He looked down at the crowds with a pleasant smile, earning a few swoons from the girls closest to his throne. Ella rolled her eyes and smiled at him. She knew he was too fond of flirting with anything in a skirt, even if nothing became of it.

A court herald called out, and broke the light music that played to keep everyone entertained, "His Royal Majesty, King Miles Sirona Leon Frost of Mavar." The gossip ceased, the remarks were held and the attentions were now on the front doors.

The music played a bit louder in a Royal precession as the family stood in recognition of the king, as the crowds below bowed and curtsied for him deeper and more exaggerated than they had for the rest of the family. The large black wolf strode out to the stage where their thrones sat. His rough grey mane was brushed down as much as possible, though it still stuck out at every angle. His hard ice blue eyes shot through the crowds as he walked, though he was attempting to nod and smile at them. A large well-healed scar ran across his nose as a trophy from a battle long in his past. His clothes looked formal, yet comfortable, bearing the colors of their country, green, gold and black. A large black cape was also tied around his neck which made him appear very kingly, if nothing else did. He stood before his throne and looked out over the crowd, then his own family. He nodded and sat down, permitting everyone to relax for a moment.