II

JOSIE

I GET UP FROM my desk and walk toward the printer room, placed further away from my desk than anyone else. When I started I was given the seat closest to the window and farthest from the emergency exit in case of fire and the bathroom. I thought it was something the Christ brothers had done on purpose at first, but simply turns out every new clerk sits where I sit till a new victim is offered a new job in their chamber of torture (Elijah's office). 4 years later, and Elijah still hasn't hired someone new in the commercial area.

Truth is, I have no idea what the Christ enterprises really sell and do. All I know is that sometimes when the brothers include a new firm in an agreement, they need my department to make commercials about it. To make it known, as if the entire world knows the Christ brothers really aren't the saints their name suggests. Which is what I'm headed to the printer room for.

Print a bunch of ideas out, show them to Kristen who is pronounced director for the commercial department. If she approves she'll take it up to the 20th floor to where Elijah sits in his comfortable chair, in his comfortable big, empty, space. I had no idea he even owned the 20th floor too. If Elijah likes the idea, he'll show it to his brothers and if they approve the commercial will be everywhere within days.

I log onto the printer and wait patiently for the printer to do its magic. The printer room is a little room in the corner of the 7th floor where I'm stationed, made of glass. Inside of it is the printer of course, a bunch of staplers, papercutters, scissors—everything you could imagine you'd need when working with commercials.

In the midst of waiting I manage to zone out, but quickly zoom back to reality when I see Malik and Zakaria Christ making a direct beeline for what seems to be the clerk's desk— my desk. There is no Elijah though, which could only be good. I see them a lot— Malik and Zakaria I mean. Since they're the CFO's it's their job to make sure us in the commercial department are doing what we're supposed to. They've never walked toward my desk and sat in my chair though.

I basically pull the papers out of the printer due to my sudden impatience. When I walk out of the printer room, with a stack of papers held close to my chest the entire floor is so silent I'm sure we would all be able to hear a pin drop. I swallow my nervousness and walk toward my desk. When I get close enough I see Malik standing by the window and Zakaria sitting in my chair, his legs resting up on my desk.

I clear my throat when I get there which makes Malik turn around. His face tells me I wont like this conversation. Before he acknowledges me, he looks around the floor causing everyone's eyes to move from us to whatever they were doing before being snoopy.

"Take a seat," Malik says. I nod my head with a firm look on my face, trying my best to look professional. I put the stack of papers down and turn toward my chair. The one Zakaria is still sitting in. When our eyes lock, he smiles at me revealing a dimple. Just like the one Elijah possesses.

Zakaria pats his lap. "I don't bite, angel. Take a seat," he says, repeating what his eldest brother told me. I choke on my salvia and my eyes go wide. I quickly look over at Malik, hoping he's more wise and will tell his brother to get up, and thankfully he does. Zakaria's face twists into a fake pout before he puts his feet down on the floor, pushing himself up from my chair.

I let myself fall into the chair, crossing my hands on my lap, looking up at ⅔ of my bosses. Zakaria crosses his arms over his chest, looking rather amused, which only scares me way more than the fact that they are here at my desk, in the first place.

"So," Malik says in a hushed tone. "We heard you tried to kill our brother the other day."

My face bursts into flames. "I-I'm so incredibly sorry about that, Mr. Christ, it was truly a mistake! Truth is, I'm not the best driver and in panic I reversed instead of going forward and before I knew it, Eli– Mr. Christ was just standing behind my car and then he went down and— Oh my God, I'm so sorry, I'm so so so sorry," I say all in one breath hoping they aren't here to fire me. "Is he okay?"