XXVIII

ELIJAH
Almost two weeks ago

I PACE THE PARKING lot losing my dear patience slowly. We're standing behind Christ Ring and Humpty 1 and Humpty 2 (Nikolas and Axel) don't seem to be sharing my nerves as they stand with their machine guns clutched to their chests as if that'll save them from death himself. There is no postponing that shit; it's going to knock down your door and steal your goddamned soul from you.

Nikolas, Axel and I, hell even Malik and Zakaria, knew we were going to hell either way, so postponing that shit won't help a soul. Not even our doomed ones. I pull a long drag from the cigarette, before I toss it to the ground. I don't usually smoke, but it was either cigarettes, or I'd go on a killing rampage.

"I think we should move in now," I tell the Humpties, but they shake their heads in unison. I stop my pacing and face them both. Neither of us tower anyone–we're all the same height. I send them a glare so cold, I'm sure it'll scare someone to death, but they're made men. They aren't normal civilians who work in my office, normal men I can intimidate. No, they just send me a glare right back.

"Cain, our Capo, gave us clear orders. We move when he gives the green light," the bulkier one says; Axel.

The sound of wheels screeching makes me reach for one of my guns, but when I see the black BMW I calm down slightly. Aaron kills the engine, and steps out of his care, moving toward us. He's dressed in the same attire as the rest of us, though he carries more knives than guns. Aaron was once in the military, and sometimes you need to do close combat with the enemy. The kill all made men, hell the kill everyone avoids. The personal kill.

The kill where you'll have to look your opponent in the eye, and do the biggest thing there is to do: take someone's soul. Some men prefer the close kill. It not only gives a rush and feel of power, but it also lets one see the damage that can actually be done.

Aaron comes to stand beside me, and he tenses along with the tension when he looks between the Humpties and I.

"It's almost been 30 minutes and your dear Capo hasn't seemed to give his fucking signal," I grit out, clenching and unclenching my fists.

"We move when he gives green light," Nikolas, the less bulkier version of Axel, repeats. I scoff, and walk away, before I'm compelled to pummel my fit into their faces, breaking their noses. I grab another cigarette and light it, taking a long drag. Footsteps near me, and I recognise them to be Aaron's.

"I can go in and grab her." I take another drag, giving him a look. "I can do it."

I shake my head, exhaling the smoke. "We don't know how many traitors are in there, how many men Zakaria gaslit into being on his side. I can't risk you going in there, and not coming out." Another drag. "It's Cain. I don't know what he's playing, but this is his doing."

Aaron looks over his shoulder briefly, and my eyes follow, finding the Humpties still standing as they did before I walked away from them. "You mean Zakaria kidnapping Josie?" Aaron questions and I give a shake of my head.

"I mean those two fucking girls not wanting to move an inch until Cain gives his so-called "green light". Something is wrong." Before I can dwell on the thought any longer, I grab my phone and dial Cain's number by heart. We were once close friends. He picks up on the third ring.

"What," he says, through pants. Either he's busy killing someone, or fucking his wife. I don't mention it, but lean on the latter.

"Why the fuck did you tell me to bring your two bitches, if all they're good for is guarding a door!" I almost roar through the phone, and as if I have powers, I see his grin on the other end of the phone. He had this shit planned. I never should have gone to him.