XII

JOSIE
⅖ WEEKS LATER

I WALK INTO THE fundraiser with the 3 brothers tailing behind me, wearing a gown bigger than myself. Apparently, it's mandatory for the boss's secretary to join Every. Single. Event. I call it bullshit. I'd never heard of Kristen being out of the house with Elijah to fancy dinners with powerful men, who all had small dolls plastered next to them, or her joining fundraiser balls, having to wear masks and dress like someone from the mediaeval century.

Elijah had told me I was attending this stupid ball every day for 2 and a half weeks, yet me being myself, I refused to believe him. Even when a makeup team and tailors pushed themselves into my apartment I sat in the chair in my room, by my vanity telling myself I wasn't going to this stupid ball. Now here I am.

The tailor had been by my apartment later tonight and helped me get into my dress. To say it was breathtaking would be speaking ill of the looks of it. The dress itself was made of black silk fabric, pearls running along the bosom all the way to my spine. Under the dress was fluff to puff the dress out. The dress worked the same way the roof in a Rolls-Royce does. It had an effect that almost made it sparkle.

I'd told the tailor that this was too much, for someone who wasn't actually invited by the hosts, but only a plus one to my three bosses. The tailor had said, Mr. Christ created the design himself Missus. It's to match with his suit. Sneaky asshole. He'd done the same at the poker night-thingy. When I'd gotten into the gown a hair- & makeup team had arrived. The hair-team had insisted I do my hair in an up-do, but I'd refused. Me in a high fancy bun? Yeah, as if.

Finally after what felt like hours of arguing, we'd decided on a half up half down with the front pieces slicked down, and a pearly headband to match the dress. The makeup team had done smoky eyes in what seemed like a lighter shade of black powder, added some lashes and alas some lip liner.

A limousine had picked me up from my apartment and driven me to the ball where I'd met with Malik, Elijah and Zakaria. Now here I was, gawking around with my mask up to my face. Everyone definitely dressed the part. Women in beautiful gowns, their men dressed in breathtaking suits.

"Well shit," Zakaria says after taking the whole sight in. "I'm going to find a drink. Anyone want anything?" he asks.

"Me," I say with no hesitation. "The strongest they have to offer." I needed it, if I was to survive tonight. I feel Elijah's eyes burn through my side but I decide to ignore it. He may have dragged me here for no reason at all, but now that I am here looking like a million bucks I won't let Mr. Grumpy ruin a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

The orchestra starts working their magic on their instruments and people start gathering into the middle of the ballroom, embracing their partners dancing to the music. I let out a breath and turn my face to the 2 brothers.

"May I have this dance?" I ask, smiling. Elijah smirks, taking a step forward. I frown at him, which makes him frown right back at me. I turn my head to Malik who seems to be enjoying the show. "Well?" I ask again.

Malik takes a step forward offering me his hand. "It would be my honour, Miss Moore," he tells me with a geeky smirk on his lips as he leads us into the middle of the floor. He places his hand on my waist, and I on his shoulders. We start moving to the rhythm of the music, some people gaping at us, probably thinking I'm Malik's new thing, others probably wondering who the hell I am.

Malik spins me around and pulls me into his chest so that my back meets the hard skin. Like that we move and if we didn't have people's attention before, we definitely do now. A few photographers snap a photo of us and people slowly seem to take their exit from the floor, leaving Malik and I alone.