Chapter 6: Los Ojos

The elders lived on top of the tallest hill of Monte Vega overlooking all of the land, in mansions inspired by Spanish Gothic architecture inside the 1000-hectare property.

Luca might be in helm but everybody knows that it's still just in the name for the meantime. Hindi pa ito ang lubusang magmamana ng isang upuan sa taunang meeting. Pinatutunayan pa rin nito ang kakayahan. Hindi pa talaga rito naipapasa ang buong kapangyarihan. Patunay na wala pa itong mansiyon dito sa Ojos de Dios.

May pag-asa pa siya. It's still the elders who are making the major decisions in the clan. He can still change their minds if he plays his cards well.

The Asturias currently has living five elders while the Alcantarans only has three. Isa sa mga elder ang taong sumumpa siyang hindi na niya uli haharapin pero ngayon, handa siyang baliin iyon

"Smile, Langdon. Mahirap kumbinsihin ang papa para pagbigyan akong makausap siya na kasama ka. Kinulit ko pa iyan ng ilang araw para lang ma-schedule tayo ngayon."

He turned to her mother when they were outside the humongous golden gate guarded by uniformed personnels in their red uniforms.

"Thank you for doing this for me, ma."

Inayos nito ang kuwelyo ng suot niyang gabardine polo at proud na tiningnan siya.

"I know we're just starting but I already know as early as now that you will make it, Langdon. Ikaw ang susunod na magkakaroon ng mansiyon dito sa Los Ojos. You will restore your father's name in our emblem. Kayang-kaya mo iyan. We're here for you."

Tipid lang siyang ngumiti sa ina. Ayaw niyang sabihin dito na napakalayo sa iniisip nito ang numero unong motivator niya sa pagbabalik sa kompetisyon sa pamamahala.

It's for their enemy's name. It's to restore the honor of the woman and his unborn child whom he brutally murdered.

"Come on," yaya nito sa electronic cab na nakaantabay para sa kanila.

Ojos de Dios is the ultimate dream of the Asturias since the day they came to the Philippines. It's their sacred place. This is where they congregate for the yearly meeting of the elders to select the next leaders.

He stared at the grown palm trees from afar and a memory from the past sprung up.

"You remembered him? He used to come here with you but not once with me," saad ng ina niya na animoy nabasa ang nilalaman ng utak niya.

He kept his silence. How can he forget him when he used to plant these trees with him back then?

Until they reached the only black mansion in the village, he kept quiet under his mother's understanding gaze.

Hindi na nila kailangang pumasok sa marmol na bahay. Pagbukas pa lang ng gate ay natanaw na niya ang pakay nila.

Don Atticus Edralin Asturia is sitting in his automatic wheelchair waiting for them on the porch while smoking his famous Cohiba Behike cigar.

Something thrashed inside him when his grandfather's greenish eyes leered at him distainly.

The look is cold and yet Langdon felt warm.

"¿Cómo estás, abuelo?"

Hinalikan niya ang pulang bato sa singsing nito bilang tanda ng paggalang at yumuko rito ng limang beses.

His mother kissed his cheeks but his eyes were fixed on him, studying him, analyzing even the way he stood up in front of him.

Pinag-aralan niya rin ang mukha nito. Still the same authoritarian man he had known but this time, he is trapped in the most bitter reality of existence. The once leader of the whole clan is living in this disintegrating body.