Chops

That night i rolled over towards the main hangar, after learning the password from Maru, their mechanic, i rolled into the building. 

Dipper invited me to stand next to her. 

Maru went over to a rack and grabbed a tape out of a pot. 

I was confused and asked why they invited me to watch a movie, to me it wasn't secretive at all, Surely Blade allowed them to watch movies. 

They all shushed me and Maru imported the tape. The intro started playing and low and behold, Blade was in it. 

"Blade was a Tv star ?" His trainee piped up. " Wow" 

Once the movie was over i asked the team why Blade was there, Surely acting paid way better than firefighting. 

But the team didn't know. Saying he never brought it up.

This only brought forth more questions. Like, why didn't he want to talk about it? Being famous is something to be proud of, right? But he didn't say a word. 

I didn't press him either. My relationship with him wasn't the best and i barely knew him. So it wasn't up to me. 

The next day, we had a report of several fires that had merged into one. 

Blade ordered everyone to gear up, except for me. He wanted me to stay in the hangar and wait till they got back. 

I didn't take that well. I wanted to prove myself to him, So i objected. 

Dipper stood by my side and argued back, telling Blade to give me a shot. 

He only let me when Windlifter spoke up saying that they needed every plane they got. 

He wasn't too happy, but Windlifter was the second in command. So Blade trusted him enough and let it go. 

In no time we arrived at the fire and started working. The jumpers got out of Cabbie and immediately started working on a fire break after landing.

And just like the first fire, Blade dropped his retardant first, After that he ordered Windlifter and then Dipper to drop theirs. 

Finally it was my turn, i was determined to show him that i could do it. But i misjudged and dropped the retardant too high. 

Blade asked Windlifter to do it after i failed to do so. 

Not long after Dynamite spoke over the radio that they were in danger and needed help. 

Blade was in the middle of asking Dipper to drop retardant over the jumpers, but before he could give her their location i saw them and told them i got them.

And i did, i dropped the retardant correctly and saved the jumpers. I reloaded at the base and went back to continue to help. 

Once the fire was as good as out, the team minus the jumpers who stayed to watch for any up flares, returned to base. 

I was excited that i finally did something good. And while the rest of the team was happy for me. Blade wasn't impressed. 

"He never seems to be happy," Icy said. 

Dusty sighed. " Yea, i was quite bummed when he told me that it wasn't good enough. Looking back i can't blame him. I did defy his orders and broke formation. I could have died." 

Anyway, that evening we went to the lodge party Cad had previously talked about. We met a sweet old couple that was visiting once again to celebrate their anniversary. 

We talked with them, and Windlifter gave the strangest toast. The evening was pleasant and i soon forgot all about Blade's negativity towards me, and just enjoyed the moment. 

Icy-stream tilted her head a bit. " What toast ?" 

" I can't really remember everything he said, just the part where someone ate his own tires." 

"Ate their own tires ? " she grinned. " Eww, no thanks"