16. The Goal

Though reluctant to go together, Wooyoung had no way to see Seonghwa by himself. He couldn't deny his curiosity about how San handled the AI, so he trudged along, careful not to match his pace to San's to invite conversation. As much as Mingi distrusted them, he abode his oath to stick with Jongho's call. He marched ahead without another word and Wooyoung studied him vigilantly. He would bet Mingi knew how to use every single one of the weapons he had for sale in his little cart.

When San spoke up to fill the silence of their wandering, Wooyoung tensed at first, thinking he would become the victim of his nosiness. Thankfully, San had enough tact to leave him to his brooding.

"How long are you staying?"

Mingi hummed. He didn't light a lantern, used to these corridors and their emptiness where Wooyoung's paranoia wanted to double-check every cranny.

"I come and go. Jongho will be fine for a few days without me since you two don't seem too dubious. I will be here once you depart."

Right, Mingi wasn't part of the fellowship. Two didn't sound like a whole crowd, and neither did three. Then again, Jongho needed a fast and secure crossing, not an army.

Mingi opened the door for them and stemmed his shoulder into it until San and Wooyoung entered. He leaned against the entrance once it shut, disinterested in their conversation. His gloves sparked a flame on his boot as he lit a cigarette.

The rectangular screen came to life, illuminating the dark. Instantly, peace filled Wooyoung. The sense of looking at something grander, something beyond human shortcomings.

"Smoking damages your lungs," Seonghwa scolded Mingi, gentle like a summer breeze. He showed the image of the lantern again, neither too bright nor too dark. Fascinated, Wooyoung sat down on the ground before his table. San preferred to stand.

"As does this world. Pick your poison."

Did he believe in Seonghwa? Clearly, he took him seriously enough to work along with Jongho, but did Mingi truly believe they could make it?

Perhaps Wooyoung would never know.

Since Mingi couldn't be argued with, Seonghwa directed his words at the two raiders.

"Both of you returned. This time, together," he noted. Somehow, he knew whom he was talking to, he saw.

Wooyoung played off his shudder.

"We were curious about you," San purred in that charming way, never missing a beat. He was clearly more used to talking to people than Wooyoung. Where Wooyoung was awkward from his sheltered upbringing and the few people in his life, San talked like one used to a community.

"I will respond to any question," Seonghwa replied, as if just as elated to see them. His voice carried that scary empathy again when he addressed Wooyoung. It wasn't so unnerving that Wooyoung would punch that screen and see if a person hid inside, but haunting enough.

"How are you feeling? You are less pale than last time."

Though the inquiry was meant well and innocent, Wooyoung grumbled to himself. Now San was looking at him again with those eyes that burned holes into walls.

"I can be less of a salt pillar," Wooyoung offered. No way would he fall back behind San.

He stubbornly kept his eyes on Seonghwa until San lifted his gaze away. Only then, he exhaled.

Seonghwa laughed, a quiet and pleasant sound. Wooyoung never talked to an AI before, but they weren't so bad. Uncanny, yes, eerily not human yet so close, but a voice in the solitude.