Pajama top

After Csónakos had taken Boka home, he checked in on Nemecsek, but he could not stay for long due to the fact that he had accepted a weekend night shift on the same day that he had taken him to the Péterfy. The case was that said shift was about to start soon. However, after he had been home to sleep for a mere hour the next morning, he was standing by Nemecsek's bed again.

The blond man had just begun to stir. Chewing the corner of his mouth, Csónakos watched his friend's pale face and blond locks that were flattened by sweat. The nasal cannula was no longer attached to his nose, but the nurse had mentioned that he had had a rough night.

"Good morning, mate," Csónakos said softly when Nemecsek looked up at him with a smile after blinking groggily a few times.

"Morning! Aren't you supposed to sleep after work?" Ernő muttered.

"I slept for an hour."

"What about resting for longer than that?"

"There will be plenty of time to rest when I'm dead and buried. How are you?"

"A little worse than yesterday, but it's not so bad," Nemecsek answered, and the smile did not fade from his face, not even then.

Csónakos looked at him sadly.

"Oh, my dear mate, my heart goes out to you!" he said, placing his hand on Nemecsek's shoulder, then immediately pulling it back, "Damn, it's soaking wet! Okay, you're changing out of this right away," he commanded.

"As I said, it's not so bad, and as for the shirt: let's just leave it, the next one will get sweaty too," the blond sighed.

"Leave it my ass! You can't stay like this. I'll take you to the bathroom and you'll put on a clean pajama top. I won't take no for an answer."

Nemecsek threw his head back theatrically upon hearing the strict order. Then, he winced painfully at the sudden movement.

"Oof, I should not have done that," he said through gritted teeth as he carefully sat up.

Csónakos was already at his side to help him.

"For heaven's sake, Nemecsek, why do you do such things?"

The blond shrugged tiredly. Csónakos had already positioned himself to lift him up, but then he stopped dead in his tracks, staring at the IV.

"And what should I do with this piece of shit?" he asked, being at a loss.

"I dunno. Hang it on your ear or something," Nemecsek giggled, and then, seeing Csónakos' indignant look, he got a bit more earnest:

"No, seriously, just take it down from the stand, and it will be okay if we hold it higher up then my arm is."

"But won't it go on the fritz if we take it down?" Csónakos eyed the bag suspiciously.

Nemecsek stared at him without blinking. Then, he burst out laughing, and that was the moment when the door to the ward opened and Boka walked in.

"Hello... " he greeted with a smile, then stopped dead in his tracks when he laid his eyes on the scene unfolding in front of him.

He did not do this without reason, seeing that a clueless-looking Csónakos, holding the IV-stand with one hand, and Nemecsek, who didn't seem to be in very good shape, but was laughing hysterically nevertheless, with the other, was not something that one witnessed every day.

"What on earth...?" Boka began, "Would someone care to enlighten me as to what is going on here?"

"I just tried to get Nemecsek to the bathroom, because his shirt is soaking wet..." Csónakos began.