Chapter Six~Doctor Jane... Man Of Many Talents

Teresa Lisbon

My eyes flutter open and just for a moment, one moment, I forgot why I was in bed during the day. The horrible churning in my stomach begins again, or had it always been there and I hadn't noticed? My head pounds and the room spins a little bit. I get ready to use the bowl that's magically appeared beside my bed... It's not as bad as earlier but the retched taste isn't any better. A second later I look up and Jane tumbles in through the door, a look of concern plastered on his face.

'Oh Lisbon...' He says sympathetically.

I sit back against the headboard and he joins me. The bed dips as he crawls on and he lies on his side, a hand props up his head. I pull the duvet up around me a bit more as a chill runs over me. His eyebrows furrow together and he sits up then puts a hand against my forehead.

'Teresa, you're burning up. You need to take off a layer.'

'But I'm cold...' I moan.

'Come here,' he moves closer and unties my dressing gown then helps me slip it off my shoulders. 'There. That's not so bad is it?'

'...Yes it is,' I pout and he gives a chuckle.

'Don't be so contrary. You're worse than a toddler.'

'It's no fun being stuck here.'

'You need bed rest.'

'So you're a doctor now?' I ask... Intrigued somehow.

'I am.'

'Patrick Jane, man of many talents.'

'I'm glad I amuse you.'

'Oh you do.'

We both pause as my stomach heaves... But then I'm fine once again. I start to take the duvet off of me but my hands are shaky and I'm no help to myself.

'Where are you going?'

'I need to use the bathroom Doctor Jane.'

'Very well. But take it slow.' He helps lift the duvet for me and I swing my legs out. I'm in full sitting position and my head seems to be throbbing. I get up and he's by my side within seconds.

'Teresa, I said slowly.'

I plod towards the door and he's ahead of me a couple of steps holding it open for me. I then find myself leaning against a wall as my eyes make the world a blur. The coldness of it on my head feels surprisingly nice although I feel chilly. I don't seem to have much sense of gravity as a hand supports my back keeping me from toppling over.

By the time I make it to the bathroom I swear to god I'm no longer stood on a horizontal surface. But I walk in on my own using walls and doors as support. He stands awkwardly outside not knowing whether to walk away or wait.

'I'll be fine. I've coped with this before.'

'Well you just call if you think you're going to... Blank out on me or something.'

'Sure. Now go to work.'

'Do you think I'll go even if you ask me to? Besides... There's nothing to do there.'

'There's nothing to do here either, just catch the bug I've got.'

'Well that sounds a bit more exciting...'

I roll my eyes, not helping the world-spinning situation, and shut the door.

I come out of the bathroom and Jane's stood there like a doofus. He helps me towards my bedroom again, as I'm still stumbling from side to side.

'Do I have to go back to bed?'

'Yes, have you not heard of the recovery process? The first day of illness in bed, the second day on the couch, and the third... Something else.'

'Well I'll be fine tomorrow. I've just caught the stomach bug that's going around.'

****

Patrick Jane

There isn't a stomach bug going round, so I don't see how that's possible, but I don't argue with her. She's found my weak spot and she knows it; I find it impossible to go against someone who is ill and vulnerable.

'Fine. You can come into the living room but you have to stay on the couch. You understand?'

She nods like a child and leans in as I put an arm round her shoulders then rub her upper arm.

I leave her on the sofa as I go to grab her duvet and bowl. Whilst I'm in her room getting the things I notice a picture of three boys... All got similar coloured hair to Lisbon and the same eyes. They're clearly her brothers, but which one died, I don't know. I'm pretty sure it's not Tommy... Otherwise Aunt Teresa would have had a visitor for some time; her niece Annie.

I decide to take the things through to her otherwise she'll become suspicious as to what I've been doing. I want her to be able to trust me around her home. I walk out of her room and pause. She's sat on the sofa clutching onto her side an agonising look of pain on her face.

'Lisbon?' I rush round to her and her head darts up although she doesn't stay like that for long as she falls back, her eyes closed.

'Lisbon?!. Oh no... Oh no!'

She doesn't reply so I start panicking. Damn it, why did she have to faint? Moving her wouldn't be the best move to make right now so I leave her where she is, knowing she'll come round within a matter of seconds.

'Lisbon...' I mumble whilst gently rubbing her upper arm. 'Lisbon... Wake up...'

Her eyes slowly open and she looks at me a bit puzzled.

'There we go... What happened?..' I whisper. She tries to sit up but she appears to be too weak so I place the bowl on the table in front and pick up the duvet again. I sit on the couch next to her and put an arm around her fragile body then pull her in closer. She huddles up next to me and I place the duvet over us and after a few minutes being like that she's fallen asleep, her little hand placed lightly on my stomach.