Chapter Three~An Offer Of Help

Patrick Jane

It's around three in the afternoon and Lisbon hasn't resurfaced from her office. I decide, just to be safe, to go and check on her. I walk towards her office and I see that the door is open where Van Pelt is stood just inside talking to her. I'm not close enough to hear what she's saying but I can tell for a fact that Lisbon will want saving. So me, being a superhero, decides to do just that. I get to the doorway and just wait a moment.

'Ahem...' I cough.

'Oh, hi Jane,' Van Pelt says.

'I think Rigsby wants you...'

She gives the desired reaction, freezing then walking away, but Lisbon doesn't pick up on anything. As soon as Grace is out of the door I shut it and look at the pale, dainty woman sat on the couch.

'Thank you...' She mumbles happily, a small smirk dancing on her features. I nod my acknowledgment and allow a few seconds to pass before I ask anything further.

'... Have you had lunch?'

'No, I'm not hungry.'

'You should have something Lisbon, it'll make you feel a little better.'

I register the mug of coffee I'd brought into her earlier. It's still three quarters full with, what now, is a separated mug of a milky-coffee substance and water. It doesn't look very appetising...

'No, I have to finish preparing this presentation... It's a nightmare...'

'I bet.'

'Shall I tell them about Visualise?'

'Uh... Yep, yep. You can do.'

'Fine, let me rephrase that, do you want me to tell them about Visualise?'

'... Not really...' I shove my hands in my pockets and look around casually. She scribbles something down on a piece of paper amongst many other notes.

'Agh! God damn it!' She throws the pencil on the desk and falls back into her chair. I see the nib roll over the paper and the frustration in Lisbon's eyes is easily picked up on.

'It's okay... I'll sharpen it.'

I pick up the pencil and look around, unsure where she'd keep a sharpener. I decide her desk is a good place to start and luckily there's one hidden away in a tub. I twist the pencil and allow the shavings to fall into my awaiting hand then once I've finished I blow the nib, marvelling at the splendid job I've done and hand it back to her. She takes it and leans forward again with a scowl on her face, as though I'm her father forcing her to do homework.

'Thank you...' She mumbles.

I nod and bounce on my toes, my hands clasped behind my back. A few moments later she crosses something out then leans back again. She pinches the bridge of her nose and closes her eyes, just for a brief second, then her cell starts vibrating.

'Lisbon... Right, okay... Sure... I'll be right there,' she dials off and shoves the phone back in her pocket then starts putting her jacket on.

'Hey Jane,' Van Pelt's voice rings out. I turn around to face her and I wish I hadn't. She too looks a tad stressed but more agitated. 'Rigsby didn't want me,' she hisses.

'... Uh... Sorry, must have misheard him.'

I turn back to Lisbon who's about to leave.

'SAC PD have something they want me to check out.'

'Anyway, they want you to try and crack James. He's withholding information they think,' Van Pelt says behind me.

'Uh okay. Just a sec,' I tell her. I then turn back to Lisbon. 'Look, I'll come over tonight and we can go through it together. But right now I've gotta go...'

I walk off with Van Pelt towards Interrogation One and leave a dumbstruck Lisbon reeling at my offer of help.