Chapter 7: Moment of Clarity.

When he said we had to make a pit stop I was expecting a truck stop not a rundown-looking gas station in the middle of nowhere. The once-bright red and white colour scheme was now a drab and weathered combination of beige and rust. The windows were covered in a thick layer of grime and dirt, obscuring the view of the interior. The old gas pumps out front were covered in graffiti, rusted and appeared to be long out of commission. We parked the car on the cracked pavement, the sound of broken glass crunching under our feet as we got out.

"You seriously have a thing for creepy abandoned places, don't you?"

"Number four."

"What?"

"The only workin' pump."

"Wait where are you going?"

"To pay."

"You mean this place is still operational?" I eyed the pumps sceptically.

"Bloody hell, just get the gas!"

I roll my eyes. He clenched his fist but said nothing as he walked away. Did I mention how good he looks from the back? Honestly, he could make a potato sack look good. I quickly facepalm myself.

Bell, pull yourself together, girl! Quit drooling over him like a lovesick puppy. I mean, sure, it's been a hot minute since I had a good romp in the hay. A year or two, maybe three tops. But that doesn't turn me into some kind of scandalous hussy. I got dignity, damn it!

Well, at least you like to think so, right?

I grabbed the pump and lifted it from the holder, I couldn't help but notice how old and worn it looked. Rust had formed in spots and the nozzle was caked with grime. I hesitated for a moment before placing it into the tank, trying my best not to touch any of the dirty surfaces more than I had to. The smell of gasoline filled my nostrils, and I wrinkled my nose.

Gross.

Just then, a pick-up truck pulled up with its massive rims, kicking up a cloud of dust. Two heavily tattooed and pierced infected stepped out of the truck, their eyes wild with hunger as they stared at me unapologetically. I swallow— hard.

"Well, well, what do we have here?" The driver flashes me his pearly white fangs.

His pitch-black eyes roamed over me like a starved predator, lingering on my exposed thighs and chest for far too long. The other guy leered at me with a sickening grin. A chill ran down my spine, and I couldn't wait to finish fueling up and get out of here.

I try to ignore the driver's creepy stare and focus on filling up the gas tank. But then, he got too close for comfort. I take a step back, nearly tripping over my own feet.

They laugh.

Bastards.

"You scared little girl?" the driver taunts.

I straighten up and glare at him. "No, I'm not scared." Like hell, I wasn't. I was scarier than a bird in a thunderstorm.

The driver's smile grew into a full-on grin. "You're a terrible liar."

"It's not safe in these parts, you never know what might happen to a pretty little thing like you," said his friend.

I take a step back, keeping the gas pump between us. "I can take care of myself."

The driver chuckles. "Is that so? Well, maybe we'll just have to test that theory."

Before he can take another step, Ivor appears from out of nowhere and blocks his path. I was never happier to see that hulk of a log than I was now.