Chapter 18: The Devil You Know.

"What would you prefer, the Mackenzie's boys?" his voice dripped with a mix of mockery and sadistic delight. "It seems rather awkward, doesn't it? I know who you are, but you have no clue who I am. Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Agent Smith."

Suddenly his entire demeanour shifted, shedding the façade of a disciplined soldier to reveal the sinister depths of his true nature. His eyes gleamed with malice, his once composed posture now exuding an air of wickedness and arrogance.

Ivor's eyes narrowed, his fists clenched, but he maintained his composure like a soldier. "Aye, you've done your homework, Agent Smith, I'm impressed. You must have spent hours scribblin' in your wee notebook."

Agent Smith chuckled. "Oh, Ivor, my dear amputation enthusiast, you see, I know just how dangerous you and your brother can be."

Ivor's jaw tensed; his eyes locked on Agent Smith. "I can say the same about you, someone who works for a corporation that spills the blood of the innocent."

"That's quite an accusation, Ivor, forgive me I meant Sever," Agent Smith taunted. "Do you know the story behind that little nickname Miss Winters? You're in the presence of a real charmer here. A master of amputations turned bloodthirsty monster, along with his equally deranged brother." Ivor and Clayton's glared. "You see, Miss Winters," Agent Smith continued ignoring the twin's threatening demeanour. "Ivor here was once a decorated soldier, a deadly weapon in his own right. But then, the infection took hold, and he unleashed his insatiable hunger for carnage upon his comrades. His brother, a valiant soul, attempted to intervene but only met the same fate." Agent Smith paused for effect, revelling in the growing uneasiness. His eyes gleamed with wicked satisfaction. "Together, they roamed the land, leaving a trail of death and despair in their wake. Town after town, they slaughtered, devoured, and infected without remorse. Care to speculate why that nickname precedes him until this very day? If you guessed that he severed his victim's limb-from-limb with nothing but his shiny claws. Then callously strung them up like marionettes, leaving them to suffer a slow and agonizing death. Then you hit the nail on the head. Mind you, Clayton here may not have done much severing himself, but he stood by and watched his brother commit all those gruesome acts."

The atmosphere grew heavier. I wasn't the only one who was shaken by the story judging by the way the other agents were tensing up. Agent Smith's words painted a grim picture of Ivor and Clayton's reign of terror, more so Ivor. No wonder those guys at the Gas station were so scared of him.

Agent Smith's voice turned evil as he posed his final question, "So tell me, Miss Winters, do you think you're safe with these monsters in your presence? Especially on the full moon that is coming up. Did they tell you what happens to them on a full moon?" He smirks diabolically, clearly enjoying this more than anyone should.

The twins growl at him.

Full moon?

Agent Smith's lips curled into a smug smirk. "Ah, the harmony of your growls is truly enchanting. It seems the beasts have found their voice."

Ivor's nostrils flared, his voice seething with controlled rage. "You may mock us, Agent Smith, but remember this: nature is unforgivin'. We are the embodiment of that primal force, and we will protect our own."

"Your own?" Agent Smith says, stroking his chin intriguingly. Yeah, I didn't miss that either. Our own? "You consider Miss Winters your own? You think you can protect her, keep her safe like you protected Grace—"

"You bastard!" I hiss bitterly. Clayton's strong arms tighten around me holding me against his rugged chest. "Don't you dare speak her name with that filthy mouth of yours, you good-for-nothin' son of a bitch! And couldn't you come up with your own fake name? You had to raid the cinema for inspiration. How impressive. Who wouldn't want to name themselves after a character from The Matrix? I mean, who needs a unique fake name when you can just borrow one from a movie?"