𝟎𝟔 ➻ funny business

♛ ┇ ▒ ⋅⋅⋅ WALKER ENT. V. GREENFIELD CORP. ⋅⋅⋅ ▒ ┇♛

𝐌𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒 𝐖𝐀𝐒𝐍'𝐓 𝐌𝐔𝐂𝐇 𝐎𝐅 𝐀 𝐑𝐔𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐑, so he was out of breath by the time he got to Quinn's cubicle, a file flopping around in his hands before he threw it down in front of her.

She leaned back like he'd just chucked a toad in her general direction, before poking the file with a pen and staring up at him. "What is this?"

"It's my plan," Mike said, gripping the cubicle divider and inhaling some much-needed oxygen. "For the hearing. I want you to... go over it... for me."

"Alright, buddy, breathe," Quinn patted his hand and pulled the file open. "The sexual assault pro bono case, right?"

"Yeah," Mike nodded, his eyelids fluttering and landing on two items on Quinn's desk. Without asking, he grabbed her bagel and took a generous bite of it, and Quinn watched him do it with a miffed expression.

But she didn't say anything. Instead, she got back to the case, her brows slowly furrowing as she read through it. "I think it's a good idea, Mike. Admittedly, my knowledge on the case is limited." She looked back up at him quizzically. "Why not just run this through Harvey?"

Mike thinned his lips. "Well... I wanted you to see it first. Since you, you know..." He cupped his mouth and whispered. "Actually went to law school."

Then, he ate more of her bagel and took a sip of her coffee, letting out a groan of relief as it warmed him from the inside out. Meanwhile, Quinn closed the folder and held it out to him, already moving on to the next task.

"Why so sour?" Mike looked at Quinn over her bagel.

"Not sour," Quinn said, scratching through something with a pen and rewriting it with her left hand. "Just busy."

Mike peered over her cubicle and read her paper upside-down. "Greenfield Corporation," he said slowly, squinting at it. "The renewable energy company?"

"The very one." Quinn turned the page with a huff, before checking her rubber watch and jumping to her feet. "I've gotta go."

"Wait, what?" Mike stood to his full height as she began to gather her things, sticking a pen in her mouth and drawing her hair back into a ponytail. "I was gonna ask if you wanted to come to my hearing."

Quinn stopped in her tracks, staring blankly at Mike. "Your hearing?"

"Well, technically, it's Harvey's hearing-"

"Yeah, I can't," she said, her words muffled by the pen. She let it drop into the file that she was holding in front of her. "I get paid to play, not to watch. Plus, I think your boss was coming on to me last night."

"Oh, come on," Mike recoiled in disbelief, his face scrunching. "Harvey comes onto every..." He trailed off, and Quinn stared at him. "No, I am not going to finish that statement. But really... I want you to be there."

Quinn tucked her files under her arm and held out her hand expectantly. Mike gave her the coffee cup, and she took a long swig before setting it down on her desk. "Mike, as tempting as it would be to watch you, of all people, fumble around a courtroom... I can't. I've got bills to pay."

"I think we both know you can miss a day and pay them," Mike retorted.

Quinn glowered at him, before shaking her head. "I can't believe I'm doing this."

"Yes!" Mike pumped his fists. "Don't worry, Quinn. I'll kick ass for you."

"Dammit," Quinn set down her files and walked around the cubicles to Mike. "Just make it clear to Mr. Specter that I'm there for you, not him. I don't want him to get the wrong idea."