𝟏𝟔 ➻ unexpected ending

♛ ┇ ▒ ⋅⋅⋅ WALKER ENT. V. GREENFIELD CORP. ⋅⋅⋅ ▒ ┇♛

𝙉𝙄𝙉𝙀 𝙔𝙀𝘼𝙍𝙎 𝘼𝙂𝙊

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐓𝐀𝐊𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐘 𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐒𝐄𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐃 wasn't much to look at. It was nearly impossible to guess that some of the wealthiest individuals in the city were within the cheapest place on the block.

Quinn's stepfather, Gil, was a banker. He was private about the workings of his job even with his immediate family. His wife, Marie, was probably the only person who knew the full extent of what he did for a living. He never intended for it to be a well-kept secret, he just wasn't very open about it.

That sort of unwillingness to share made Quinn all the more surprised when he called her into the master bedroom, which doubled as his office. He'd managed to negotiate with his boss, allowing him to work from home.

Most people who first met him thought he was scary – tall, muscular, and bald with icy blue eyes and sleeve tattoos down his arms. His family knew him as a kind and sensitive man. His workplace knew him as someone entirely different... Quinn hadn't been aware until that very day.

"Hey there, killer," he said with a smile.

She sat on the edge of the king-sized bed at the back of the room, a brow raised. "What's up?"

"Should I fire this guy?"

Seventeen-year-old Quinn blinked, meeting his gaze with hesitance and bewilderment. "I don't follow."

Gil swiveled his chair and moved it to the side. "Jan's been acting up again."

Quinn sighed in understanding. Her mother knew more about the inner workings of Gil's job, but she knew more about his subordinates. "Jeez. What'd he do now?"

"He started a fight," her stepfather replied, drumming his fingers on his thigh absentmindedly. "Third time this month. I spoke to him about it afterwards... he said he couldn't remember what the fight was about."

For a moment, there was just silence. Then, Quinn flopped down onto the bed, staring up at the lazily spinning ceiling fan. "He's the guy with the mental problems, right?"

"Yeah."

Quinn craned her neck up to look at him again. "Yeah."

Gil knew what she was saying. He rubbed his stubbled chin and turned back to his computer. "Guess that's that, then."

Quinn put her forearm over her forehead. "Why'd you ask me? I've never even had a job before. I can't imagine I'm the best consultant."

Gil rocked his head from side to side. "Don't sell yourself short. You're smart enough to do Jan's job for me. I'd hire you if I could get it past my boss." He snickered to himself.

"Well, finance isn't exactly my area of expertise," Quinn admitted, her head rolling to the side.

"Oh, he needs lawyers, too," Gil grinned.

"Doesn't everyone?"

Gil's brows bobbed up and down, a sign of agreement. "I was kidding, just now. This job... it's like swimming with sharks."

"It would be good practice, then," she quipped, getting to her feet and approaching his desk. "Though, I didn't know banking was so cutthroat."

Her stepfather let out a small grunt that meant nothing. Quinn gave him a one-armed hug. "Well, good luck," she said. "Hope Jan takes it well. Don't tell him a teenager had the final verdict on his... termination."