One Last Day

Luz rushed downstairs and into the living room, where everyone was hanging out. Everyone turned and looked at her, confused by her look of urgency.

"Guys," Luz breathlessly began, "I know you aren't going to believe me but, okay, so I was doodling in my journal and ended up drawing a glyph. When I tapped it, it didn't disintegrate like what happens when you try to use glyphs in the human realm. It actually flickered and started to work before going back to being just paper."

Everyone stared at her in a confused silence. A realization dawned on Luz as they looked at her.

"You...you don't believe me...do you?"

Amity stood up and walked over to Luz.

"Batata, today has been exciting. I think it's understandable that you might start to, well, see things. You spent so long using glyphs, it's understandable that at the thought of being able to do magic again, you thought that you could here."

Luz took a step back in disbelief.

"You seriously don't believe me. Here! I can prove it!"

Luz grabbed a blank piece of paper from the piles they were using to plan and drew a light glyph. But, when she tapped it, it just disintegrated.

"I...I don't know why that didn't work. It did before, I swear!"

"Luz, it's okay. We're all excited to go back." Willow said comfortingly, resting her hand on her shoulder, "And you're probably anxious about going back."

"Why would I be anxious?" Luz scoffed, moving Willow's hand.

"Well, have you talked to mom yet?" Vee asked.

"Of course I-"

Luz was hit with the realization that she hadn't told her yet. And they were going to go soon.

She was going to break her promise and leave her again.

Luz walked over to the couch and slumped into it, holding her head in her hands.

"She's going to be devastated." She whispered.

Amity sat down next to her and wrapped her arms around her.

"Luz, if it'll be too hard, you don't have to go. We can go and once everything is over we can come back. We'll make more portals that are stable so we can travel between the realms whenever we want."

"What? No! I have to go. I abandoned so many people. I can't just leave them. I'll...I'll figure something out. I can talk to mom."

Right once she said that, Camila stuck her head into the living room.

"Dinner's ready!" She chipperly said.

Everyone got up and headed into the dining room. A looming sense of dread hung over Luz.

They sat down at the table and got very excited when Camila brought in a tray with a massive pizza on it.

"Since you are so close to getting a new portal," Camila began, setting the tray down, "I figured we could celebrate with some pizza!"

Immediately everyone started to dig in. Well, everyone except Luz who couldn't eat anything with the knowledge that soon, she'd have to break her mom's heart and leave again.

"Hey, uh, mom?" Luz slowly said.

"Yes, mija?"

"Well, um, I just felt like I needed to tell you that..."

Luz trailed off. She couldn't bring herself to just tell her mom that she's going back to the isles.

"I just wanted to tell you that I was thinking of you and I going into town on a little mother-daughter outing? With how hectic everything has been and with so many new people in the house, we haven't gotten a chance to spend time together."