New and Expected

Boscha led Luz, unexpectedly, to Hexside. Not exactly where Luz expected people to have spent 7 months unfound to be hiding out, but she knew the place had plenty of secrets. For all she knew, Boscha found out about the secret passages Eda made and the detention track kids found. Instead of going into the school, however, Boscha brought her out to the sports field. They went back behind the bleachers and down to a hidden area that looked kinda like an old human realm press box. Boscha slid out a brick and pressed a hidden button behind it, which made a click come from beside them. She slid the brick back and opened up a hidden door.

"Mother! I'm back!" Boscha called in as she walked in.

Luz looked around as she stood just inside the door as it closed behind her. The room was fairly small, but functional. There was a window that looked out to the field with what looked like one-way glass, two hammocks, maps pinned to the walls, a potion making area that also had lots of various weapons hung up around it, and lots of storage. Boscha hung her cloak up on a hook, laid out her potion belt, and sat down on a storage bin. Luz awkwardly stood for a few moments before sitting down on an open spot on the ground next to Boscha.

"Mother! I brought someone, so get up already!" Boscha said, sounding a bit exasperated.

There was the sound of a groan and a woman with three eyes, bright pink hair, and pale pink skin sat up from one of the hammocks. There was no doubt in Luz's mind that this woman was Boscha's mother. The woman brushed her messy hair out of her face, looked at Luz, blinked a few times, then sighed. She practically rolled out of the hammock and pulled her hair back, using magic to tie it into a tight ponytail knot. She walked over to the potion making area and sat down, staring intently at Luz the whole time.

She looked even more intimidating than Boscha during Grudgeby season.

"I see you're the human Eda kept around. You helped Willow Park beat my superstar at the sport she has spent her whole life being a master of. You openly rebelled against the coven system, took every track, disrupted a petrification ceremony, attacked the Emperor multiple times, and was one of the five people besides a child god who was around him during the time of his death."

Luz tensed up, worrying that Boscha's mother was a supporter of the whole coven system. Knowing Boscha, that did make sense and there wasn't really anything to prove that just because Belos caused the draining spell, that didn't mean everyone automatically went to hating him.

Instead of that, her tone quickly changed and started full on laughing. Luz glanced at Boscha and it seemed she was also surprised by this reaction.

"You got some guts, kid. Not surprised. Eda was your mentor after all. Her and I weren't really close, but I knew some things. She was a great athlete, had a wild personality, always spoke her mind and, well, you've seen how badass her curse makes her look."

"Mother!" Boscha hissed.

"What? Look superstar, I admired the kids' mentor when I was younger. She was just about the best potion track student, better than her sister even. If she hadn't been such a rebel, she could have easily become the next potions coven head. Don't like me being complementary? Fine. I see your potion belt got plenty of use and your hair is down. What happened, how did you get captured, how did you get out, and did you kill anyone?"

Luz was a bit taken aback once again at the tonal shift, but this time it seemed like Boscha was less surprised.

"I saw the human walking around not realizing who she was, followed her, she went into trapper territory, I tried to save her but got sloppy. We got captured. The human nearly screwed up our escape but thankfully they..." Boscha looked over at Luz and saw how nervous she looked at the chance she was going to spill about her magic, sighed, and turned back to her mom, "they had a few of those paper magic things. We got out, beat the shit out of the trapper who caught us, and came here."