𝔁𝔁𝓲𝓲𝓲. the hope

chapter twenty-three

time was running out. souls from the other side were popping up left and right throughout Mystic Falls. Stefan's friends were in danger, he was possibly in danger, but all he could think about was where Alex was in all this mess.

as he was beginning to leave the school, by miracle, he heard he voice faintly thanks to his enhanced hearing. though she didn't sound fine, she sounded scared and he words were rushed.

he knew she had plenty of enemies, especially because of what she was, the power she held. all he could think of was that a not so friendly soul from her past made contact.

he quickly ran to the source of her voice. he found people in another hallway. a group of woman wearing clothing from up to a thousand years prior. they were talking and chanting. Alex sat on her knees in the center of the circle. he saw her through a gap.

he noticed that she wasn't moving, but her face showed her struggle and terror. he paused, thinking of a way to free her without a fight. his eyes widened as he saw one of the witches hold a long, gold dagger. he saw the fear in Alex's eyes. this wasn't an ordinary dagger.

he ran forward as the witch plunged the dagger into Alex's heart. she gasped and blood fell from her mouth, her body swayed.

"ALEX!" Stefan screamed in agony, shoving the witches away to reach Alex.

their eyes met and Stefan knew what this was. the mysterious weapon that was the only thing that could kill her for good. these witches came here to kill her. she was dying.

he picked her up just as she fell and her eyes closed. using his vampire speed, he left the school as fast as he could. he slowed down in the parking lot and laid her on the grass. she wasn't desiccating, but her couldn't hear her heartbeat.

he pulled the dagger out of her and threw it away. his hands cupped her face and he saw a tear land on her face. and then more.

"please, wake up"

he caressed her cheeks before pulling his wrist to his mouth, biting into it and pressing his wrist to her mouth. nothing happened.

"damnit, drink!" letting a vampire feed from another was risky, and very intimate, but Stefan didn't care. he couldn't let her die, not not, not after he just got her back. he was ready to finish where they left off years ago, to hold her, kiss her, and love her for the rest of his life.

she wasn't supposed to die first, not before their second chance even began.

"come on, Alex, you gotta wake up," he held her face again and rested her head on his lap, "you can't leave me again, not yet, not for another thousand years"

he sat like that for a few minutes, waiting for her to wake up. he figured it was like the white oak stake, if it wasn't in her for long and was taken out, she could still be alive.