04

✨My Concubine✨

.

.

.

25 people, a total of 25 women with concubine status, sat quietly and gracefully at each table that had been prepared, lined up neatly on the floor of the Geowi hall according to their level. Wearing silk, jewelery and make-up all added to the level of beauty they possessed, and that was only natural for those who bore the title of 'Concubine of King Munmu'. The king of Silla who had conquered Goguryeo.

But all of that pales in comparison to Li Yuan sitting at the front, and in a higher position than the others. The twenty-five concubines' clothing, jewelry, and even makeup pale in comparison to Yuan's and denote her position as the highest of them all as queen of Silla.

fluent in Silla. However, Yuan's clothing, jewelry, and even the tea set were all from her homeland, the Tang empire. Although she had become a Silla person after being married 10 years ago, until now Yuan had been reluctant to use Silla goods.

"Your Majesty, I'm sorry I'm late." Said a woman bowing respectfully in front of her to distract Yuan from the cup of tea she was sipping on.

"You're late, sister Jaeui. What's wrong this time?" Yuan gave a slanted smile when she too understood the nature of this woman who called herself 'The King's Beloved Concubine' in front of her.

Su Jaeui, the first concubine. Her late arrival had now supplemented the number of concubines that king Munmu had.

"Ah, that. Your Majesty knows that Prince Myeong is not very spoiled, and does not want to be separated from his mother." Yuan's smile widened when she heard the ridiculing words Jaeui gave her.

It was normal for the concubine to give birth to a child before the queen, especially if the child was a son who would become heir to the throne. However, this rule does not apply in Silla. Because girls also have the same right to the throne as Queen Seondok and Queen Jindeok.

"Sister, if you feel tired and burdened to take care of Prince. You can send him to my place." Yuan Suggested that her hand returned to pick up the teacup that she put back on the table a moment ago.

"But you don't worry because the war is over, and the prince will grow up when he has a little brother." Yuan continued laughing with satisfaction in her heart when she saw the reaction of the lowly woman in front of her.

Yes, lowly is the right word given to her husband's first concubine because not only is she a beloved concubine, but that woman dares to brand herself as the king's beloved woman without any direct acknowledgment from the king.

"Your Majesty, it's almost noon, and everyone has gathered. So what's the reason you gathered us here?" Said the second concubine, Kim Wolhwa asked from where she sat and stopped Yuan's argument with Jaeui.

"Everyone? Can't you see there are still empty tables there?" Yuan's words suddenly caused a commotion because the twenty-six concubines were shocked when they looked at the empty table at the end where Yuan was pointing.

Suddenly everyone whispered to each other, and argued that they were sure the empty table didn't exist before.

TAK...

But the commotion did not last long. All the concubines rose from their seats and bowed together when Yuan suddenly rose from her seat after she put down her teacup roughly with a loud sound.

"What did you say?! Has she gone mad?!" Yuan snapped at one of her ladies-in-waiting who seemed to have come to deliver bad news, successfully igniting the Silla queen's emotions.

"Her Majesty."

But that didn't last long, because one of Yuan's middle-aged maids and caregivers since childhood managed to contain the queen's emotions.

"I'm sorry everyone as it looks like we should move elsewhere."

Yuan's words made everyone curious about what the lady-in-waiting had whispered to her to calm him down, and smiled again as if nothing had happened.

"I'm going to give you a really great show."

.

.

.

Yeongdong was a small agricultural village on the border between the Silla and Goguryeo kingdoms. Formed by the Geumgang River that flows like silk around Mount Bonghwasan, the village is surrounded by stunning views. However, this village was filled with soldiers, weapons, and cannons which witnessed the beginning of the great war between Silla and Goguryeo because Yeongdong was a village directly adjacent to Goguryeo.

Before the war, not only to the capital, farmers in Yeongdong village also sold their agricultural products to the enemy kingdom, namely Goguryeo. But when the war started they lost their farmland and switched professions to become soldiers, as well as translators of the Goguryeo language on the battlefield.

Being on the border, and often making buying and selling transactions, Yeongdong villagers gradually mastered the Goguryeo language. Both Sehwa and Junghee thought, maybe it was because of that ability that the king specially appointed them to be the maids of his new concubine.

A strange place, and a foreign language. King Munmu really is a kind person, thought Sehwa and Junghee after they received the order directly from the king.

Go Jioh, princess of Goguryeo. Even though his concubine was the daughter of an enemy kingdom, the king still cared about placing those who spoke the Goguryeo language to help the Goguryeo princess not feel isolated. Not only that. The king also gave silk clothes, and the best new jewelry for his new concubine.

But after telling everything, they didn't expect the reaction their new mistress gave was so unexpected.

"Hah... Hahahaha... Hahaha..." Jioh gave a sarcastic laugh after sitting silently hearing the words of her two maids praising Munmu's king. Tears rolled down Jioh's cheeks along with her laughter.

"Huh! He even tore my wedding dress." Jioh said squeezing her wedding dress after she limped to reach the clothes that were lying on the floor in a corner of the room.

Both the outer robe and the underwear that Jioh wore yesterday were torn in tatters.

"Madam?!" Sehwa and Junghee called at the same time, surprised when Jioh wore the robe the king left behind.

"You... Take me to your king!"

.

.

.
✨My Concubine✨
ruby_ribbon

Note:

Thank you for reading this story...

Don't forget to comment if I have a typo...