What If ANAS...?

What if Anas's true identity came out before Marium ran away?

This one shot lies after Murtasim tells Meerab about his dream to be an international wildlife photographer.

********************************
"Khud ko aur mujhy sambhal lena please." He pleaded, his eyes filled with unshed tears.
Meerab's eyes were moistened too and she couldn't stop her tears from leaving her eyes and rolling down her cheeks.

****

Marium had draped a chadar over herself and prepared to leave the house. Meerab saw her and asked her not to do it.
Marium was adamant but Meerab promised her that she'd have a final talk with Murtasim in the morning. Marium reluctantly agreed and went to her room.

After stopping Marium from running away, Meerab returned to her room to see Murtasim lying on the couch scrolling through his phone.

"Murtasim", she called out to him.
He looked up, "Hmm kya huwa?"

"Wo...tum aj bed pe so jao", Meerab told him looking away to avoid eye contact.

"Aur iss meherbani ki waja?" Murtasim was confused.

"Please itne sawal matt karo. If you don't want to sleep on the bed that's fine, just stay on the couch. I don't care."

"Okay okay sorry." Murtasim got up from the couch and lay on his side of the bed expecting Meerab to place a pillow in the middle but she instead lay down on her side, facing her back to him.

Oh what I wouldn't give just to have her in my arms, he thought as he gazed at Meerab's back. Murtasim knew he shouldn't push it too much otherwise he would end up on that uncomfortably couch again. It was so nice to sleep on the bed again.

The mesmerising chirping of birds woke Murtasim up. He woke up and found Meerab very close to him. He was lying on his stomach and one of his arms were around Meerab. The thought of Meerab waking up to this scared him. Had they been a normal couple, he would have pulled her closer and kissed her. Murtasim shook his head trying to get the fantasies out of his head. He was about to remove his arm when there was a sharp knock on the door and Meerab woke up. He immediately removed his arm and distanced himself from his wife before Maa Begum walked in. His mother needed to learn not to barge on them like she did, Murtasim thought not very happy that she'd ruined his rare moment of closure with Meerab.

"Beta subah ke 10 baj rahe hain. Hum log tum dono ka nashte pe intezar kar rahe hain aur yahan dono abhi tak so rahe thy." Maa Begum seemed annoyed with them.

Is it really 10 o'clock? Murtasim thought as his eyes darted towards the clock. He never slept in later than 9am, how had he not woken up earlier?

"Maa ap log intezar na karen humara, hum thori der me aate hain", Murtasim spoke in behalf of both of them and Maa Begum left.

He expected Meerab's outburst as soon as his mother left but she said nothing and went to freshen up.

He saw Meerab dressed in a dark green shalwar kameez which was contrasting with her creamy complexion. He couldn't keep his eyes off her. The dress reminded him of the day he had gone to drop Haya and Marium to college. He remembered that day specifically because she had fought him over a couple of gajras.

The reminder of that day stirred another memory. He had met Malik Zubair outside the college. Come to think of it, had he followed him there or was he already outside the college? If he hadn't followed Murtasim, what was Malik Zubair doing outside a girl's college? Did he plan on harming Marium? The thought of Marium reminded him of the Anas matter and then suddenly something clicked. Was it true? Could it be? There was only one way to find out.