In which Grian has to face his fears

"Looks like he didn't quite get over it," Joel muttered, a smug smile on his face. Grian shot him a look that could cost him another hour. Cleo shot them both a questioning look, before deciding that she didn't want to know. "Aren't they just the cutest?" Impulse shouted from on top of the Crooked Tower. "Adorable," Bdubs shouted back," Shame we still have to kill them!"

Scar slapped the back of his head softly. "Leave them be," he said," we're on a break anyway." Bdubs protested loudly. "I'll tell you what love is when you're older," Cleo said, pulling Bdubs along back to their base. Impulse laughed as he waved them off. Joel, Grian and Scar were left standing near the base of the tower.

Grian was giving Joel a look that screamed he would end the other if he as much as dared leave him alone with Scar. So of course, Joel did just that. "Alright lads, that's enough tooth rotting fluff for me for today," he said and turned to leave. He patted Grian on the shoulder in a sign of wishing him good luck and a way to force him to talk it out.

Scar watched the interaction with interest, chuckling as he noticed the daggers Grian was glaring at Joel's retreating back. Grian huffed angrily, his feathers ruffled up, as he looked anywhere but at Scar. He could feel Scar's eyes bore a hole in the side of his head.

"You know," Scar started," even tho we're on different teams this time, we could still be friends." Grian felt his heart break. Had he made Scar feel as if they couldn't be friends? He slowly looked up, meeting the other's eyes. "What if I don't want to be friends?" he asked softly. Scar flinched. He then gave Grian a sad smile.

"Then I will accept that decision." Grian stared intently at him. "And what if I want to be something more?" Scar's face lit up like a Christmas tree, a smile splitting his face. He grabbed Grian's hands and pulled him close. "Then I will gladly accept that decision." They both smiled as they slowly leaned into each other. Their breaths mingled in front of their faces, hearts beating loudly in their chests and all they could do was stare longingly into each other's eyes.

"Ah yuck, not you two as well!" Impulse shouted from atop the tower, making the two jump apart. Scar started to laugh as Grian shouted in frustration. Impulse looked way too proud of himself as he retreated back into the tower. "C'mon," Scar said, tugging a still irritated Grian along," You can meet the family." Grian gave him a disturbed look. It made place for a smile when Scar gave him a quick kiss. It was a promise for more, which Grian gladly accepted. They laughed as they walked towards the rock, holding hands the entire time.

All hell would break lose soon enough. Soon the reds would hunt down the yellows. Soon red would turn on red and lives would be permanently lost. Soon enough, time would run out. But these bonds will hold, far beyond the death games. And for now, all was well. For now, they were happy.