Connor Bedard

You and Connor had been best friends since you were little and now you two were turning 18

You and Connor had been best friends since you were little and now you two were turning 18. You two shared a birthday and always liked celebrating together when you were little and the tradition stuck but when Connor moved it made seeing him for your summer birthday more special. You had just graduated high school and Connor had just signed his first NHL contract, you were still deciding on college, but now Loyola was seeming like the right decision. You wished for the same thing every year, that Connor would confess, when you were little it was for toys, but as you got older you discovered feelings and realized you had them for Connor. When he was gone, you realized how much you missed him. You would call and talk as much as you could while he was playing, occasionally you would go to his games when you had the time and he was always so excited to see you, his mom would give you his jersey to wear and that's when it hit you.

You snapped out of your little recap of memories flowing through your brain as you sat down next to Connor.

"18 huh, it's crazy," he said.

"Yeah, so fast, remember when we were little and we would shove cake in each other's faces at these things," you laughed.

"Yeah I remember," he smiled.

"So do I," you heard your mom's voice.

"Mom?" you were surprised.

"Hey, Mrs. L/N," Connor waved.

"I couldn't help but overhear you guys talking about memories," she said.

"More like listening in," you whispered to Connor just loud enough so she could hear you.

"Well I just figured I'd give you guys this early to look at," she pulled out a thick scrapbook and handed it to the two of you, you moved closer on the couch so it could rest on both of your laps.

"Thanks, Mom,"

"Yeah thank you," Connor smiled.

"Thank your mom too, she helped with it," your mom smiled as she left the room. You two dove into the book looking through all the pictures of the two of you. You laughed at some, then there was one that stuck out. An amazing picture of the two of you, Connor made it to your last high school dance as your date. You two looked so happy and amazing together, his little purple bowtie matched the belt of your black dress.

"Look at us," you pointed to the picture.

"We look good, especially me," you shoved him and rolled your eyes.

"That was a good night, even if you stepped on my foot a few times," you laughed.

"Sorry I'm not a dancer and I was nervous," he blushed looking back down at the book. You noticed his blush and went back to the pictures, the two of you let the question float in the air as you continued looking and more of your families arrived.

As the night went on you two stayed with each other, neither of you was too big on parties. Your moms brought out the cake as the two of you sat at the end of the table together.

"What do you say we do what we did when we were little," he whispered in your ear.

"What?" you asked.

"You know put cake on each other's faces it'll be cute, and it will really get our parents all like 'Aww look at them,' come on Y/N do it," he begged.

"Okay fine Con," you smiled, "but I want to put it on your face first,"

"Whatever you want y/n/n," he smiled. The cake was placed in front of the two of you with a candle on each side, he had the one and you had the eight. The birthday song began and as it was being sung to both of you, you looked at each other, you felt a hand on yours as it rested on your lap, and you looked down then back up at Connor and locked your fingers with his. With the last happy birthday, you both blew out your candles. You two exchanged a grin, you stuck your hand in the corner of the cake picking up a small chunk. Connor looked at you still holding your other hand leaning closer to you knowing what was about to happen. You smirked and smashed your other hand full of cake into his face. He grabbed a small chunk out of the other corner and did the same to you. You two were laughing and Connor was right everyone was oohing and awing at the two of you.

"Smile kids," Mrs Bedard said. You two looked over at her to smile, you let go of your hands under the table and wrapped your arms around each other for the picture. The picture was taken and your mom told you to clean up, the two of you went upstairs to your bathroom and wiped off your face with some towels.

"That was a good idea, Connor," you smiled.

"Yeah, I told you they'd like it," he paused "So what did you wish for," he asked. You hesitated but eventually came up with a response.

"I wish for the same thing every year, and I finally got it," you winked. He knew what you meant, but didn't answer so you kept going.

"What did you wish for?" You asked.

"This." He put his towel down and wrapped his arms around your waist pulling you to him. You wrapped your arms around his neck as your lips met his. It was the kiss you had been waiting so long for and it was finally yours.