Reunion

Why do we love, love? When love seems to hate us?

                           Beyoncé Knowles_______________________________ I sat at the island peeling potatoes simply because I was not aloud to touch the oven or stove

Beyoncé Knowles
_______________________________
I sat at the island peeling potatoes simply because I was not aloud to touch the oven or stove. I wasn't supposed to be in the kitchen period, I came in for a cup of ice and I ended up with a potato and a peeler.

I sat silently listening to my aunt's gossip about other people at the reunion and what they wore.

I looked at my phone when it lit up "Beyoncé you found you a little girlfriend yet?" I looked at my aunt with a blank stare "no if I did I wouldn't bring her around cause y'all just sit around talking about people" I said while standing up then putting the potato down "now I'll be back, solo is here and she needs help with bringing stuff in".

They all stared at me silently before my mom asked "did she bring Nicki?" Who the fuck is Nicki, I've been gone for too long.

I opened my mouth to respond and Solange walked in with two foil pans and a short woman holding a little boy's hand.

"Dumbo you had one job don't worry the boy's helped us" everyone ran in their direction while I stood there awkwardly.

Where was this when I came inside, I just got a hey Beyoncé.

"Oh bey this is Onika or Nicki she's my best friend from high school" I remained silent then looked at Onika "hey nice to meet you, I'm Beyoncé and who's this little man?" I said bending down to his level, I know one thing I liked most after God was kids, he was so short and cute with his little braids "this is papa bear, say hi papa" he didn't say anything but instead reached his chubby hand up to my curly hair.

I giggled while he played in it everybody was awing over him "papa you can't just touch peoples hair" she chuckled while removing his hand, I smiled at her then stood up straight "may I?" I asked motioning to him, we made eye contact for the first time "um of course" she said clearing her throat and letting his other hand go.

I immediately picked him up "it's nice to meet you, Beyoncé right?" I nodded holding my hand out for her to shake.

Her hand was soft, her touch was gentle, we just stood there holding each other's hand awkwardly.

"So Nicki what'd you cook for us this time?" My mom asked breaking the intense silence, I sat down allowing him to get his little hands tangled in my hair, the smell of jerk chicken hit my nose instantly when the foil covering was removed.

I immediately looked in the direction "bey you need to try her jerk chicken, her cooking is amazing" Solange said handing Nicki a fork. She took a piece off of a chicken drum with the fork, her hand under it making sure nothing dripped on the countertop.

She walked over to me while blowing it "Nicki you're such a mom that girl is grown" she ignored Solange while putting the fork to my mouth with her hand now under my chin.